Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erie Data Systems <er...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/31 18:40:58 UTC

Issue with max documents on single instance

Solr 8.0.0 (single server, single instance, single core) Centos 6x86_64
Error :  number of documents in the index cannot exceed 2147483519

Ive read about the max number of documents which means I need to go with
SolrCloud..
My question is this, can I implement a "clustered" environment on single
server so I can take advantage of the segmented data? I have a TON (96gb)
of RAM and plenty of SSD disk space available...

Thanks,
-Craig

Re: Issue with max documents on single instance

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/31/2019 12:40 PM, Erie Data Systems wrote:
> My question is this, can I implement a "clustered" environment on single
> server so I can take advantage of the segmented data? I have a TON (96gb)
> of RAM and plenty of SSD disk space available...

Yes.  One Solr instance can have many cores, and you can even run a
distributed index without SolrCloud, with some extra effort.

You can even run SolrCloud on a single server.  The embedded ZK is
probably acceptable for that kind of install.  It won't have any
redundancy, of course.

The minimum fault-tolerant SolrCloud install is three servers -- because
ZK requires three.  For the minimum, only two of those servers would
need to run Solr.

Thanks,
Shawn