Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/10/07 00:12:13 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.2.1.6 released

The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce a new feature release
of Derby, 10.2.1.6.

Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project.
Derby is a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the
ANSI SQL and JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers
and end-users to work with.

Derby 10.2.1.6 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

  http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.

Derby 10.2.1.6 introduces the following new featues:

* Tools
  o The ij SQL interpreter now has command-line help
    and two new commands: show tables and describe.
  o The ij connect statement now works in the J2ME/CDC environment.
  o Tools can now be invoked without specifying a classpath
    just by typing "java -jar derbyrun.jar <toolName>".

* Security
  o Databases can now be re-encrypted.
  o Secure connections can now be required.
  o Support has been added for DRDA userid/password substitution.
  o SQL Standard GRANT/REVOKE support has been added
    for authenticated users.

* Administration
  o New scripts have been added in the bin directory which
    follow Apache conventions.
  o System tables have been added for access to diagnostic information
    previously available only through non-standard VTIs.
  o Online backup is enhanced to allow updates to the database, during
backup.
  o Various Net Servlet improvements have been made.
  o The network server now logs startup/shutdown messages
    to the server log file.

* JDBC
  o The network driver now supports statement timeouts.
  o Large object streaming has been improved in the network driver.
  o The FOR UPDATE clause is no longer required when declaring an
updatable ResultSet.
  o Scrollable, updatable, insensitive ResultSets are now supported.
  o Network client messages have been internationalized.
  o Source-only JDBC 4 drivers are included, based on a proposed final draft
    of JSR-221 and beta build 99 of Java SE 6.

* SQL
  o Expressions are now allowed in the GROUP BY clause.
  o Identity columns can be reset to start at a new value.
  o New XML datatype and operators for storing and querying XML data
    have been introduced, based on SQL/XML 2006.
  o New builtin math functions have been added and wired-in as
    JDBC escape functions.
  o Unary +/- are now allowed for ? parameters.
  o Optimizer overrides have been added.
  o Triggers can now call Java procedures.
  o The nullability of a column can be changed now.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.2.1.6 released

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 10/6/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce a new feature release
>> of Derby, 10.2.1.6.
>

> Woohoo! Great job, Rick, navigating this one through treacherous waters.
>
> We should host a combination BoF and 10.2 release party at ApacheCon. :-)
>
> andrew

Thanks to everyone for helping get the bits out the door. I'm grateful
that, on the whole, we are a self-herding pride of cats. Special thanks
to Andrew and Jean for all the guidance and extra hard work. I am
definitely ready for war stories and a pint at ApacheCon.

Cheers,

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rick, thanks for all your hard work on making this release happen!

 -jean