Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/18 00:10:14 UTC

ModDN and ModRDN in Ldif files ?

Hi all !

I'm currently implementing all the Ldif import operation, and I need
your light.

Question : are ModDN and ModRDN synomymous? It seems so, and those two
names are just there for historic reasons. And there is only one request
ModifyDN, no ModifyRDN. So what do you think ? Any clue ?

Thanks a lot !

Emmanuel

Re: ModDN and ModRDN in Ldif files ?

Posted by Norbet Reilly <nr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

All the evidence I could find seemed to suggest they are indeed
synonyms. The difference between ModDN/ModRDN really comes down to the
presence (or otherwise) of the "newsuperior" attribute rather then the
value chosen for the "changetype" attribute.

I found this http://www.novell.com/documentation/ndsedir86/index.html?page=/documentation/ndsedir86/taoenu/data/a6i0f1p.html
 section "Table 143. Modify DN Change Type Fields" to be a good
summary of related attributes (but don't have time to cross reference
this with relevant RFCs etc).