Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Klotz Jr, Dennis" <DK...@empirix.com> on 2005/11/08 15:25:02 UTC

Vote for this java RFE

I have been investigating ways of improving the load times of our web
applets and with the help of a Sun developer the following RFE has been
created:

I ask that you please consider voting for it (getting an account is easy
and so far hassle free :-) ). If you know of another java developer or
user that would find it useful please forward the link.

I started this discussion here:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=678853&tstart=0

In a nutshell, the RFE is asking that Sun add an option within the java
control panel to pre-load the Java Virtual Machine at system startup and
keep it around. Why? The cold start time of our applet has increased
since moving to java 1.5 despite claims by Sun that this version has
better load times.  After testing, it has been determined that simply
preloading the JVM cuts the load time dramatically.

Dennis Klotz, Senior Software Engineer
EMPIRIX | Communications Infrastructure Group |