Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/01/07 20:11:58 UTC

r8085 and r8104

I've just added a "concept" +1 to this item in STATUS:

   * r8055, r8085, r8104, r8105
     RPM Documentation build patch and added svnserve.conf and snvserve man
        pages.  Also require correct apr/apr-util, and apache RPM versions.
     Justification: Packaging fixes and additions.
     Votes:
      +1 (concept): gstein, kfogel

The middle two revisions there are really the same patch, applied to
both rpms/redhat-7.x/ and rpms/redhat-8+/.

David, I can change my vote to a real +1 if you can confirm to me that
"%{__perl}" lines in the patch work exactly as intended.  That's the
one part I didn't feel competent to review, but I'm happy to go out on
a limb for you if you've tested this :-).  Also, you might want to
vote on this item yourself!

One thing:

In those two revisions, part of the patch looks like this:

  +# Start patch by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> to get documentation to build.
  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
  +# End patch by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> to get documentation to build.

For the future: when applying a patch, you can take out the markers
left by the contributor, and (if appropriate) replace them with a more
timeless comment, for example:

  +# Build documentation.
  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]

If we always left comments like this in the code

   ### JRANDOM: here's the start of my mods
   [...]
   ### JRANDOM: here's the end of my mods

... well, let's just say we wouldn't need version control :-).

Re: r8085 and r8104

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:11:58PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> David, I can change my vote to a real +1 if you can confirm to me that
> "%{__perl}" lines in the patch work exactly as intended.  That's the
> one part I didn't feel competent to review, but I'm happy to go out on
> a limb for you if you've tested this :-).  Also, you might want to
> vote on this item yourself!
>
> One thing:
>
> In those two revisions, part of the patch looks like this:
>
>   +# Start patch by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> to get documentation to build.
>   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>   +# End patch by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> to get documentation to build.

I can confirm that they work on Mandrake.  The lines are identical to my
Mandrake spec file.  As long as RedHat defines the macros (%{__perl} and
%{_datadir}) and places their stylesheets in the same place then this
should work fine.  But then my review of my own code isn't of much use.
:)

> For the future: when applying a patch, you can take out the markers
> left by the contributor, and (if appropriate) replace them with a more
> timeless comment, for example:
>
>   +# Build documentation.
>   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]

I'll note that the comments didn't come from me.  I never generated a
diff.  I just copied the lines out of my spec file for Mandrake and
pasted them into an email.  At any rate the comment in my Mandrake spec
is:
# the perl script works around a bug in the html-stylesheet.xsl

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: r8085 and r8104

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:15:07PM -0500, mark benedetto king wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:11:58PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> >   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
> >   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>
> AFAICT, this fixes at RPM time what is a permanent problem for some
> (most?) installations; if so, couldn't we could get autoconf to fixup the
> XSLs for us, instead?

Yes.  And the subversion/doc/book/README file instructions on how to
build the book are wrong.  Passing XSL_DIR to the Makefile just flat out
doesn't work completely.  It's necessary but you have to edit those two
files.

I asked a while back for someone to fix this.  But nobody ever did and I
had other priorities.

Re: r8085 and r8104

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:11:58PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>   +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]

AFAICT, this fixes at RPM time what is a permanent problem for some
(most?) installations; if so, couldn't we could get autoconf to fixup the
XSLs for us, instead?

--ben

Re: r8085 and r8104

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> writes:
> Oh.  I thought only full-access committers could vote.  I'll go back
> and read the voting instructions.

A partial committer can vote in their domain, and this is certainly
your domain :-).

> OK.  I just wanted to attribute the patch to Ben and not myself.  :-)
> I guess I could do that in the %changelog section.

Yup, that's exactly the way to do it, in the logs.

Re: r8085 and r8104

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>I've just added a "concept" +1 to this item in STATUS:
>
>   * r8055, r8085, r8104, r8105
>     RPM Documentation build patch and added svnserve.conf and snvserve man
>        pages.  Also require correct apr/apr-util, and apache RPM versions.
>     Justification: Packaging fixes and additions.
>     Votes:
>      +1 (concept): gstein, kfogel
>
>The middle two revisions there are really the same patch, applied to
>both rpms/redhat-7.x/ and rpms/redhat-8+/.

Yes, it was taking me long enough to do both sets that I went ahead and
commited one before the other, normally I would have commited them both
at the same time.  Someone was pestering me to get it working so I went
ahead and commited one.

>David, I can change my vote to a real +1 if you can confirm to me that
>"%{__perl}" lines in the patch work exactly as intended.  That's the
>one part I didn't feel competent to review, but I'm happy to go out on
>a limb for you if you've tested this :-).

Yes, the build completes and creates the documentation.  Before it
didn't.  Of course this is a "band-aid" for fixing the real cause.  Even
better would be to do that but I'm not competent to understand the book
build process and why it didn't work without that.  So I took the patch
from Ben Reser (thanks Ben!)  :-)  I'd be happy if the book build
process just worked out-of-the-box.  If someone can show me where I'm
doing something wrong I'll be happy to fix it.

>  Also, you might want to
>vote on this item yourself!

Oh.  I thought only full-access committers could vote.  I'll go back and
read the voting instructions.

>One thing:
>
>In those two revisions, part of the patch looks like this:
>
>  +# Start patch by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> to get documentation to build.
>  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>  +# End patch by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> to get documentation to build. For the future: when applying a patch, you can take out the markers
>left by the contributor, and (if appropriate) replace them with a more
>timeless comment, for example:
>
>  +# Build documentation.
>  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>  +%{__perl} -pi -e [...]
>
>If we always left comments like this in the code
>
>   ### JRANDOM: here's the start of my mods
>   [...]
>   ### JRANDOM: here's the end of my mods
>
>... well, let's just say we wouldn't need version control :-).

OK.  I just wanted to attribute the patch to Ben and not myself.  :-)  I
guess I could do that in the %changelog section.

    - David Summers