Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@bevocal.com> on 2002/05/04 01:57:59 UTC

RE: Memory based config

Jason,

Can you give a specific example of how this would work?  You can do just
about everything in code that you can from the configuration file, so what
is it you are looking for?  You want something that will write out the
current settings to a file?

-Mark

RE: Memory based config

Posted by Jason Poley <jp...@poley.com>.
It would be the same as doing the "ConfigureAndWatch" where log4j rereads
changes in config files (i have not used it this way, but it seems klunky)
I'd rather have an object in memory (singleton like) where i could just
say now log this package on DEBUG or switch it to this Appender.  It seems
it might be able to be done using JMX (in log4j 1.2) but at the bottom of
the javadoc it says "This package lets you manage log4j settings using
JMX. It is unfortunately not of production quality."  - not sure what that
means :(

I desire a programatic means of changing the properties on the fly without
parsing a config file and waiting for a reload (unknown amount of time)

does this seam reasonable?

-jason