Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2013/01/04 15:17:37 UTC

Re: Slim-down effort: current situation

I was reading this article and suddenly thought: why not giving access to branches in OFBiz project to people who need more than a patch to submit in a Jira (clearly Tom and I would have loved that)?
http://prng.blogspot.fr/2009/02/commit-access-its-social-problem.html

Opinions?

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
One of the solutions is to create brach on github, https://github.com/apache/ofbiz. A feature can be developed on Github and then a final patch can be submitted to Ofbiz Jira.

Regards
Anil Patel

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
A bit out of subject, I found this article interesting http://kohsuke.org/2013/01/04/the-other-side-of-forking-and-pull-requests
And he made me wonder how the OpenErp project is handling its addons (some years ago someone told me this was a weak part of the project, I never dug)

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: <de...@me.com>

Posted by de...@me.com.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Ean Schuessler" <ea...@brainfood.com>

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
I don't know that its much worse. On GitHub you will see the forks and could track their changes if you wanted. I think the complication with handing out SVN branches is that we will end up with a lot of low quality branches in the core repository. The nice thing about GIT is that the chaff doesn't get into the wheat bucket.

From: "Ean Schuessler" <ea...@brainfood.com>

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.