Posted to general@xml.apache.org by "Steven T. Hatton" <ha...@globalsymmetry.com> on 2004/01/31 08:08:45 UTC

Standard locations for jar files, etc.?

I'm working with several apache products and find they differ in where they
put the jar files and other resources.  For example, xerces puts the .jar
files directly in the top level directory of the tarball.  Xindice, OTOH,
puts them under dist.  There are yet other variants. This makes it difficult
to set up default configurations that automatically add the jar files to the
classpath.

I will grant that it is not always desirable to add every one of the jar files
to the default class path, but that can be addressed on a case by case basis.

Is this standardization of package structure something others would like to
see?

STH

Re: Standard locations for jar files, etc.?

Posted by "Steven T. Hatton" <ha...@globalsymmetry.com>.
On Saturday 31 January 2004 07:24, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > Is this standardization of package structure something others would like
> > to see?
>
> I'm sure everybody will like it.
> Experience shows, however, that it takes some time to
> reach consensus, and that the fastest way to get a
> standard is to have it implemented in a tool with a
> lot of other benefits.
> I'd suggest looking at Maven.
>
> J.Pietschmann

I just glanced at Maven, and it looks like the kind of approach I was vaguely
envisioning. Perhaps not as ambitious, nor as comprehensive, but potentially
useful is Antidote.  It's quirky, limitted, and somewhat unpredictable at its
current state of development, but is nonetheless useful to a person who finds
it easier to comprehend such things as build.xml files when they are
represented in a concise visual manner.

Having antidote with a built-in default configuration template might be
advantageous to the implementors of Maven.  I have to admit I speak out of
ignorance.  I am merely mentioning the tool because I would like to see it
grow, and I believe it has a roll to play somewhere in the context of project
management and standardization.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.