Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by haim <ha...@012.net.il> on 2005/03/13 19:00:08 UTC

Using hibernate

We are planing to use object/relational persistence and query service
like  hibernate or Castor JDO.
Does anyone have any recomaidations for the above?
Does anyone has good/bad experience using similar technologies?

Thanks
Haim

Re: Using hibernate

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
I have used straight JDBC, Hibernate, and iBATIS.

For me, the sweet spot is iBATIS. It provides very near the
performance of JDBC, without the complexity.

IMO, I will use ORM when database vendors support it directly, not
when I have to wrap my database in a ORM layer.

Larry

Re: Using hibernate

Posted by PA <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 13, 2005, at 19:00, haim wrote:

> We are planing to use object/relational persistence and query service
> like  hibernate or Castor JDO.
> Does anyone have any recomaidations for the above?

Take a serious look at Cayenne:

http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/

Much nicer than Hibernate in my opinion.

Cayenne is the open source sibling of NeXT's Enterprise Object
Framework:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EnterpriseObjectsFramework

Which is still somewhat available from Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/WebObjects/Enterprise_Objects/
index.html

> Does anyone has good/bad experience using similar technologies?

Yes. Both. Most of the time those O/R mapping tools are overkill. YMMV.

Have you considered _not_ using a SQL database in the first place?

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/