Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Da...@nab.com.au on 2006/05/03 01:37:18 UTC

Re: Configuring log4j under wsad

Whoever set up the framework of the app I'm working on did so using Commons
Logging pointing at Log4j.  The problem is, I can't configure Log4j
properly unless I set the classloader mode as PARENT_LAST under WAS.  It
looks like WAS's own copy of Commons Logging is not finding our
commons-logging.properties file and is falling back to default behaviour.
Is there a way to fix this without changing the classloader mode?

TIA,

 David Hodgman
 Senior Consultant, Consulting & Project Management
 National Australia Bank

 Level 7, 500 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000
 Tel: (03) 8641 4169 (6)  |  Fax: (03) 8641 2856 (6)  |  Mob: 0405 357 754
 Email: David.Hodgman@nab.com.au

National Australia Bank Limited - ACN 004 044 937
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us at postmaster@nab.com.au or by replying to the sender, and then destroy all copies of this email. Except where this email indicates otherwise, views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not of National Australia Bank Limited. Advice in this email does not take account of your objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important for you to consider these matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s), you should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure document(s) before making any decisions. If you do not want email marketing from us in future, forward this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line to Unsubscribe@nab.com.au in order to stop marketing emails from this sender. National Australia Bank Limited does not represent that this email is free of errors, viruses or interference

Re: Configuring log4j under wsad

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Unfortunately, if you are going to use the default PARENT_FIRST mode, you will
need to put log4j and commons-logging.properties where commons-logging.jar can
find them.  If commons-logging.jar is a server-level library, then that's where
all the jars have to go (at least with commons-logging's autodiscovery).

This might have changed with recent release candidates of commons-logging-1.1.
I know they vastly improved the discovery process and the classloading quirks,
but I can't say that I've tried it myself yet.

http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-logging/jars/

If you only required Log4j, you'd have no problem.  Simply use a repository
selector and it doesn't matter where log4j is.  You'd be logging to your own
logger repository regardless of whether log4j is shared amongst multiple
applications or not.  With commons-logging in the mix, it becomes difficult.

Jake

Quoting David.Hodgman@nab.com.au: