Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Oleg Tim <ol...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/28 22:43:29 UTC

[S2] submitting object from

Was wondering if struts built-in data conversion will work to receive
an object from select list. So, if select list populated with
List<State> stateList and the variable submitted from s:select is a
State object, is it possible to actually get this object in the
receiving action?

so if:

State state;

State {
int id;
String name;
}

and

<s:select name="state" list='stateList' listValue="name" listKey="id" />

Any way to have struts 2 make the conversion so I don't to manually
look up the State object via submitted key?

Thanks a lot, Oleg

Re: [S2] submitting object from

Posted by dusty <du...@yahoo.com>.
There is built in data conversion, but you have to create your own data
converter.

Struts could't automaticaly find your State from the id since it knows
nothing a about your persiatance layer.  So you will have to look it up in
the converter.  For some as simple as the State object you have, you could
post "name~id" as the select value and then parse it in the converter to
populate your Object.

Look up type conversion in the docs for what class to extend an how to
register the converter.
-D