Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID> on 2022/01/04 13:37:01 UTC

Thank you

Dear ASF Incubator,

Now that Hop graduated as a TLP I would like to take a few moments to thank
everyone that was involved in helping us throughout the graduation
process.  First and foremost I want to thank our mentors who did an
excellent job in guiding us.  In particular Julian Hyde was very present
with practical advice and, I think, much needed expectation management in
the very beginning.

In the incubator we tried to follow the approach of structurally solving
advice and comments that were given.  This worked great I think.  Lots of
people chipped in with advice but Justin Mclean: thanks a lot, you really
made a difference.  You were always capable of digging up extra stuff and
honestly, our project is in a much better shape because of this.

Kind regards,
Matt

Re: Thank you

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
The kind words are much appreciated, Matt. We’re all volunteers; that’s why
we do this.

Regarding ‘expectation management’, and communication between mentors and
podlings. I think that we at Apache tend to rely on email a little too
much. Email works, but only once you have established a personal
connection. We started off Hop’s incubation with a Zoom call where the
mentors and most of the initial committers were present. I used a slide
deck [1] to set the agenda, but most of the meeting was spent just
answering questions on people's minds.

I would encourage other mentors/champions to follow a similar process
with their podlings. Ping me if you would like an editable copy of the
slides.

Julian

[1]
https://www.slideshare.net/julianhyde/what-to-expect-when-youre-incubating