Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ray Zimmerman <rz...@cornell.edu> on 2001/02/13 22:09:59 UTC

baffled by vs. problem

I ran into a problem trying to get MysqlTool running under mod_perl
using the instructions in the included README, so I've broken down my
problem into a simple Hello World script (modified from the one in
the Eagle book) that demonstrates the same problem.

The problem I'm having is that I can get <Location> directives to
pass control to a mod_perl handler OK, but if I try to switch it to a
<Directory>, it stops working.

I have an Apache::Hello.pm that just displays the values of the
MOD_PERL and GATEWAY_INTERFACE env vars.

I have a CGI script /hello/index.cgi that just calls
Apache::Hello::handler. This CGI works fine ( $ENV{MOD_PERL} and
$ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE} as expected for outside of mod_perl ).

When I put the following in my httpd.conf ...

<Location /hello>
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlHandler Apache::Hello
</Location>

... and access the same URL, mod_perl handles it. But if I change the
entry in httpd.conf to ...

<Directory /home/ray/www/hello>
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlHandler Apache::Hello
</Directory>

... it goes back to executing the CGI.

I must be missing something obvious, right?

	Ray

P.S. In case it matters, this is Perl 5.00503, Apache 1.3.17,
mod_perl 1.25 running on Red Hat 6.2.