Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> on 2013/11/10 14:45:33 UTC

Move ATS site to Git

Hi folks,

I'd like to move our site to git. I simply want to
have it in a new, empty git branch (site) so we have
ALL THE THINGS in one place. IDEALLY, I would also
convert it to Sphinx, however the details of the
deployment I'd first have to discuss with Infra*.

Before going down that route I'd like to get your feedback!

The steps for the conversion would be:

* git-svn clone svn repo and convert our handles (can be
 done either by us or by Infra)
* import into empty (--orphan) branch (can be done by us
 or by Infra)
* transform site to something that's not an abonimation
 (can be done by any volunteer on this list ;)
* enjoy the ease of making a one line change to the site
 without having to crawl under a table and cry for hours

That's all folks,

~bye, i

* Perhaps we could use the same the same semantics as
the httpd docs and site, where we make changes (to the
XML), build the changes *locally* (with Java) and then
commits them to the repos from where they are picked up
with SvnPubSub and distributed to all (both) servers.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org
GPG: 8716 7A9F 989B ABD5 100F  4008 F266 55D6 2998 1641

Re: Move ATS site to Git

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On Nov 10, 2013, at 6:45 AM, Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to move our site to git. I simply want to
> have it in a new, empty git branch (site) so we have
> ALL THE THINGS in one place. IDEALLY, I would also
> convert it to Sphinx, however the details of the
> deployment I'd first have to discuss with Infra*.

Sounds good.

Question: is there an advantage to have a branch vs a separate git repository for the site? I'd imagine most people using this would keep it a separate clone anyways , right? It also feels that with its own repo, we could easier have development branches for the site.

I don't feel strongly either way, as long as the site never leaks into the main tree that we cut distributions from.

Cheers,

-- Leif