Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Agnello George <ag...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/07 14:34:07 UTC

prefork: child states: BBBBBBB

I see in my log the following what does it mean ??

Fri Mar  7 21:07:12 2008 [11800] info: prefork: child states: BBBBBBB
Fri Mar  7 21:07:12 2008 [11800] info: prefork: server reached
--max-children setting, consider raising it

--
Regards
Agnello Dsouza

Re: prefork: child states: BBBBBBB

Posted by fchan <fc...@molsci.org>.
Hi,
What this means there there are more incoming messages than spamd
daemon can handle.
You have you need to change the spamd --max-children to an higher
setting. You need also make sure you system can handle the extra
children processes so not to lock up your system due to an spam
attack.  I was doing an incremental increase of 2 processes and
checking the logs until I got the proper setting for me. You should
set it so it does show the "--max-children setting, consider raising
it "once in awhile.

Depending on your operating system, the --max-children setting can be
several places. It took some help from the spamassassin mailing list
people to find you where it was on my system.

If your using Redhat ES 5, which I'm using, the setting should be in
/etc/sysconfig/spamassaassin. Below is sample of this file with
--max-children set to 10:
SPAMDOPTIONS="-x -u spamd --max-children=10 -H /home/spamd -d

On some RedHat Linux systems is in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd

On Debian systems it is in the /etc/init/spamd

There many other operating systems so there are other places so you
can set the --max-children for spamd at.

I hope this helps,
Frank

Posted by Johann Spies <js...@sun.ac.za>.
On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 07:04:07PM +0530, Agnello George wrote:
> I see in my log the following what does it mean ??
>
> Fri Mar  7 21:07:12 2008 [11800] info: prefork: child states: BBBBBBB
> Fri Mar  7 21:07:12 2008 [11800] info: prefork: server reached --max-children
> setting, consider raising it

Spamassassin create sub-processes as necessary (children).
You have a --max-children setting somewhere (in Debian it is in
/etc/default/spamassassin) and it seems to be 7.  This log entry says
al 7 of them are Busy.

See my messages a bit earlier about timeout.  We are experiencing the
same from time to time and nobody has tried to answer my questions
about it.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20

AW: prefork: child states: BBBBBBB

Posted by "Starckjohann, Ove" <st...@norddeutsche.de>.
Hi Agnello,

as Johann stated all SA-childs are "busy" ... so no more mail can be checked at that point of time.

We encountered same problems on our systems (approx. 20.000 mails /day) and looked into depth.
Normally the problems arose, when checks like FuzzyOCR took tooooo long to complete or things hung up on the system.

So i wrote a little script which permanently (via crontab every 5 minutes) checks my system-health and restarts sa if needed.

The script checks:

1.) wheter SA is still running (or fu**ed up)
2.) if load is to high (which normally comes from hanging sa-tasks)

and is restarting sa if needed, sends email to admin and logs to /home/spam/hohelast.now

# Script by Ove Starckjohann - 2007-01-26 for checking SA-health
# *************************** Check if SA is running on port 783 *************
SARUNNING=`netstat -anp|grep spamd.pid|grep -c 783`
if [ $SARUNNING -lt 1 ]
        then
        echo "SA not running"
        date >> /home/spam/hohelast.history
        date > /home/spam/hohelast.now
        echo "**********************************************************" >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        top b n 1 >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        ps aux >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        sar >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        SUBJECT="ADMIN05-Warnung: hohe Systemlast - LOAD groesser 5"
        mail -s "$SUBJECT" me@mycompany.de < /home/spam/hohelast.now
        exit 1
fi
# ************** Check auf hohe Systemlast LOAD groesser 5 im 15 min-Schnitt
LOADLAST=`cat /proc/loadavg|awk '{print $3 }'|cut -c1-1`
if [ $LOADLAST -ge 5 ]
        then
        echo "high load"
        date > /home/spam/hohelast.now
        date >> /home/spam/hohelast.history
        echo "**********************************************************" >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        top b n 1 >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        ps aux >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        sar >> /home/spam/hohelast.now
        SUBJECT="ADMIN05-Warnung: hohe Systemlast - LOAD groesser 5"
        mail -s "$SUBJECT" me@mycompany.de < /home/spam/hohelast.now
        exit 1
fi

aahh...i do have a script "sar" added which consists of these some lines:
admin05:/etc# cat /usr/bin/sar
/etc/init.d/spamassassin stop
killall spamd
killall ocrad
rm /home/spam/.spamassassin/bayes.lock*
/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

With this script running my sa-server performs well over the last year   .-)

GreetinX Ove