Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "LOCHART,DOUGLAS E" <do...@cablespeed.com> on 2005/08/31 16:52:56 UTC

Form Submission on a Stale Session

If we leave our application open to a page that contains a
form and then come back the next morning and click the
submit button on the form the application tries to do a
rewind on the page to record the input parameters.  Of
course this fails as the page does not have the proper
data so a Null Pointer Exception results.

My question is why did a StaleSessionException did not get
thrown?  Our session timeout in tomcat is set to 30
minutes.

This same situation occurs if we perform a logout and then
use the back button to submit the form.

Please can someone give me some insight on why this is
happening and some direction so that I can fix it?

thanks again

Tapestry 3.0.3 - Tomcat 5.0.28

Doug

Re: Form Submission on a Stale Session

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
hmm, yes the default is true. Can you provide the stack trace for the
NPE you see.

Geoff

On 8/31/05, Douglas Lochart <dl...@ace-technologies.biz> wrote:
> Geoff,
>
> Thanks for the assisatnce.  The Tapestry Component Reference defines
> stateful as not required and defaulting to true.  However when I looked
> at the source code and Form.jwc I see that statefule is defined as a
> boolean but the setting to true of this value I could not find.  I
> assume it happens during the class Enhancement.  I will specifically set
> it to true and see if that works.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Doug
>

> Geoff Longman wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >There is a "stateful" parameter in the Form component. If the form is
> >submitted, stateful is set to true, and there is no session then a
> >StaleSessionException will be thrown.
> >
> >Geoff
> >
> >On 8/31/05, LOCHART,DOUGLAS E <do...@cablespeed.com> wrote:
> >

> >>If we leave our application open to a page that contains a
> >>form and then come back the next morning and click the
> >>submit button on the form the application tries to do a
> >>rewind on the page to record the input parameters.  Of
> >>course this fails as the page does not have the proper
> >>data so a Null Pointer Exception results.
> >>
> >>My question is why did a StaleSessionException did not get
> >>thrown?  Our session timeout in tomcat is set to 30
> >>minutes.
> >>
> >>This same situation occurs if we perform a logout and then
> >>use the back button to submit the form.
> >>
> >>Please can someone give me some insight on why this is
> >>happening and some direction so that I can fix it?
> >>
> >>thanks again
> >>
> >>Tapestry 3.0.3 - Tomcat 5.0.28
> >>
> >>Doug

The Spindle guy.           http://spindle.sf.net