Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Annona Keene <an...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/04 16:58:11 UTC

Explanation from FunctionQuery

I'm hoping someone can offer some insight into the FunctionQuery.  I've just discovered this, and I think it's exactly what I've been looking for, but I'm having some trouble getting it to work. I can create and execute the query, but if I try to see the Explanation, I get an java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException .  Can someone show me where I'm going wrong?

            Query query = parser.parse(newCriteria);

            LinearFloatFunction lff = new LinearFloatFunction(new IntFieldSource("num"), 1.0f, 1.0f);
            FunctionQuery fQ = new FunctionQuery(lff);

            BooleanQuery bQ = new BooleanQuery();
            bQ.add(query, BooleanClause.Occur.MUST);
            bQ.add(fQ, BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);

I'm using the FunctionQuery with a Query in a BooleanQuery, based on some information I found on this list.  However, here's where I run into trouble:

//there's code here that executes the query and does other exciting things
ms.explain(bQ, hit.getId());

The ms is a MultiSearcher.  I read that java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException is usually a result of a query not being in it's rewritten form. Is that my problem here? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ann

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Re: Explanation from FunctionQuery

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
1) which version of FunctionQuery are you using (from the solr repository
or from a Jira issue attachment?)
2) what is hte full stacktrace? (ie: which function/line is throwing the
Exception)

FunctionQuery supports explain just fine, not sure why you'd have
problems, oh wait ... i see exactly what hte problem is...

: The ms is a MultiSearcher.  I read that

...this is the implemnetation for MultiSearcher...

    public Explanation explain(Weight weight,int doc) {
    }

...it's got nothing to do with FunctionQuery.

-Hoss