Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2016/01/03 16:23:32 UTC

Help wanted: failed attempt to upgrade python

Hello guys:

Some of you may have noticed this:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&amp;revision=1722635

Unfortunately I had to revert it because it broke the buildbots.
I can't reproduce the error and the buildbots don't give
sufficient details [1], so I don't think I will spend more time
on it.

The update is important and this looks like a good chance for
someone else to contribute though, so patches are welcome!

Happy New Year!

Pedro.

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/builders/openoffice-linux64-nightly/builds/191/steps/build%20--all/logs/stdio

Re: Help wanted: failed attempt to upgrade python

Posted by "j.nitschke@ok.de" <j....@ok.de>.
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 10:23:32 -0500 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&amp;revision=1722635
>
> Unfortunately I had to revert it because it broke the buildbots.
> I can't reproduce the error and the buildbots don't give
> sufficient details [1], so I don't think I will spend more time
> on it.
> [1]
> https://ci.apache.org/builders/openoffice-linux64-nightly/builds/191/steps/build%20--all/logs/stdio
I think the patch is fine.

Linux 32bit failed to update svn, this happens sometimes but works the
next time again - reason unknown yet
Linux 64bit failed to download the python package and since the file
isn't on the mirror yet it failed to unpack the package
>  dmake:  Error: --
`./unxlngx6.pro/misc/d4bca0159acb0b44a781292b5231936f-Python-2.7.8.unpack'
not found, and can't be made
Windows same problem as Linux 64bit*
FreeBSD same*
*note: in the buildbot logs the bootstrap step is green but a download
failed. this should at least give a warning
---------
I suggest add the package to our mirror
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
and recommit the patch or revert the revert ;-)

still need to investigate why download from the original page fails,
maybe a firewall setting on all bots or the apache network.

--
www.Ok.de - die kostenlose E-Mail Adresse

Re: Help wanted: failed attempt to upgrade python

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
j.nitschke wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 14:32:12 -0500 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Sorry, wish I could correct that in the commit logs.

Our SVN supports editing logs. You will need something like:
$ svn propedit -r 1722749 --revprop svn:log .

>> ps: we can't really upload anything to ooo-extras anymore since
>> Google code is deprecated.
> we use an other mirror now ...
> OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
> Kay Schenk and Andrea Pescetti are listed as owners

To both of you and anyone else who may need to update dependencies: just
create a SourceForge account and ask for access here if you wish to be
added there. It's an independent system; no other privileges are needed.

> seems it depends on Licence what goes on svn ext_sources/  and what on
> sourceforge

Correct. Extras are for so-called "non-category A" dependencies.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Help wanted: failed attempt to upgrade python

Posted by "j.nitschke@ok.de" <j....@ok.de>.
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 14:32:12 -0500 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Ouch ... I read the original posting from a mobile device, and
> somehow I mistakedly thought it was damjan@ who had found the issue!
>

> Full credit goes to j.nitschke !!
>

> Sorry, wish I could correct that in the commit logs.
Thank you, no worries

> ps: we can't really upload anything to ooo-extras anymore since
> Google code is deprecated.
we use an other mirror now:
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/external_deps.lst?r1=1599163&r2=1650187
> +OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
Kay Schenk and Andrea Pescetti are listed as owners

small discussion here (maybe others in archive)
http://markmail.org/message/bgf6lbokwn2xpbwz

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

On 01/03/16 14:32, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On 01/03/16 14:24, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Fixed (I hope) ... Thanks Damjan!
>>

> Ouch ... I read the original posting from a mobile device, and
> somehow I mistakedly thought it was damjan@ who had found the issue!
>

> Full credit goes to j.nitschke !!
>

> Sorry, wish I could correct that in the commit logs.

Actually ... I just edited the commit log, not nice but I was unsure
it could be done :).

Thanks again,

Pedro.

Re: Help wanted: failed attempt to upgrade python

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Fixed (I hope) ... Thanks Damjan!

While here let me add some notes about future Python updates:

Python 2.7.9:
Brings updated SSL support so it makes better use of OpenSSL 1.0,1
(which we don't carry but I think our old OpenSSL should still work
fine).

Python 2.7.11.
Updates the Windows build support so we could start using newer
versions of MSVC compilers.

IMHO, both updates would be better done by someone with a Windows
build box.

Regards,

Pedro.