Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Richard <ap...@myfrh.com> on 2003/01/09 08:03:04 UTC

mod_perl pre-install questions

I had a brand new server setup yesterday, which has SuExec installed.

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that mod_perl won't work with SuExec.

Is that true? Or did I just think I read that somewhere?

I see mod_perl in my RPM package installer, with the options of ignore dependancies and force install, what do you recommend?

What do I need to do to install it? Should I use the RPM installer?
Do I need to disable SuExec?

If not, how will the user and group settings in httpd.conf work with mod_perl installed?

Thank you for any advice you may have....

Richard.

Re: mod_perl pre-install questions

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Richard wrote:
> I had a brand new server setup yesterday, which has SuExec installed.
>
> I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that mod_perl won't work with
> SuExec.
>
> Is that true? Or did I just think I read that somewhere?

It's true. It's all explained here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Is_it_possible_to_run_mod_perl_enabled_Apache_as_suExec_

> I see mod_perl in my RPM package installer, with the options of ignore
> dependancies and force install, what do you recommend?

I'd recommend to install it manually, YMMV. This has been discussed many
times here, check the archives if you are curious why.

> What do I need to do to install it? Should I use the RPM installer?
> Do I need to disable SuExec?
>
> If not, how will the user and group settings in httpd.conf work with
> mod_perl installed?
>
> Thank you for any advice you may have....

You will find all the information that you need here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/
Please take some time to read things under this URL.