Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/12/12 12:15:26 UTC

Processing properties in Forrest core (was Re: svn commit: r355634 - /forrest/trunk/site-author/forrest.properties.xml)

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El vie, 09-12-2005 a las 23:07 +0000, rgardler@apache.org escribió:
>
>>Author: rgardler
>>Date: Fri Dec  9 15:07:30 2005
>>New Revision: 355634

>>Log:
>>no longer need forrest.properties.xml as plugin will now provide defaults - only need this if you want behaviour other than the default
>>
>>Removed:
>>    forrest/trunk/site-author/forrest.properties.xml
>>

> How can I request all available properties (default and specific)?
> cocoon://¿?

Right now you can't get the various values. There is only one property
recorded - the one to actually use. The defaults are not recorded,
unless they are the ones to use.

However, this can be changed.

The processing of the properties is done in [1]

The first value for a given property is the one we record, so we load
the various config files in the following order:

- PROJECT_HOME/forrest.properties.xml (experimental)
- PROJECT_HOME/forrest.properties (may be deprecated)
- PLUGIN_HOME/default.plugin.properties.xml (experimental)
   - iterate over all active plugins
- FORREST_HOME/default.forrest.properties.xml (experimental)
- FORREST_HOME/default.forrest.properties (may be deprecated)

What you could do is modify [1] to record each of those files in a
separate properties collection and provide a special property request
for getting a default value.

For example:

{forrest:default.PROPERTYNAME}

would give the default rather than the user supplied one. To enable this
all you would have to do is modify getAttribute(...) in [1] to detect
this special request and process accordingly.

If you do this we need to make this part of the naming convention so
that no property can start with the word "default". There is no
documentation for this system yet, but I am tracking things via [2]
Please be sure to include this issue number in any commits and add notes
to the documentation task associated with that issue.

Ross

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/main/java/org/apache/forrest/conf/ForrestConfModule.java
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-739

Re: Processing properties in Forrest core (was Re: svn commit: r355634 - /forrest/trunk/site-author/forrest.properties.xml)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 12-12-2005 a las 13:17 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >>Right now you can't get the various values. There is only one property
> >>recorded - the one to actually use. The defaults are not recorded,
> >>unless they are the ones to use.
> >>
> >>However, this can be changed.
> >>
> >>The processing of the properties is done in [1]
> >>
> >>The first value for a given property is the one we record, so we load
> >>the various config files in the following order:
> >>
> >>- PROJECT_HOME/forrest.properties.xml (experimental)
> >>- PROJECT_HOME/forrest.properties (may be deprecated)
> >>- PLUGIN_HOME/default.plugin.properties.xml (experimental)
> >>   - iterate over all active plugins
> >>- FORREST_HOME/default.forrest.properties.xml (experimental)
> >>- FORREST_HOME/default.forrest.properties (may be deprecated)
> >>
> >>What you could do is modify [1] to record each of those files in a
> >>separate properties collection and provide a special property request
> >>for getting a default value.
> >>
> >>For example:
> >>
> >>{forrest:default.PROPERTYNAME}
> >>
> >>would give the default rather than the user supplied one. To enable this
> >>all you would have to do is modify getAttribute(...) in [1] to detect
> >>this special request and process accordingly.
> >>
> >>If you do this we need to make this part of the naming convention so
> >>that no property can start with the word "default". There is no
> >>documentation for this system yet, but I am tracking things via [2]
> >>Please be sure to include this issue number in any commits and add notes
> >>to the documentation task associated with that issue.
> >>

> > Hmm, with other words the properties are store in an input module. What
> > I was looking for is an aggregation of the above properties but not in
> > an module but as plain xml.
>
> OK
>
> > What do you thing what makes more sense, write some custom generator
> > that would contact the input module and generate SAX events from the
> > properties or simply aggregate them in the sitemap?
>
> I'd go for the generator approach, more efficient which is important
> given that there may be a large number of separate config files.
>
> In addition, this will access t none-XML properties during the
> (possible) migration to the XML system.

Agree. Will have a look.

This way we can use and access this properties anywhere in forrest. :)

salu2

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"