Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/06/01 00:17:11 UTC

Re: Automatic download of resources not found in ibiblio

 From my perspective as a maven user...

On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 02:50 PM, Sancho Neves-Graca wrote:

> For resources not found in ibilio, the element <url> can be used to
> display an address where the resource can be fetched. However, this is
> not really in accordance with one of the objectives of maven, mainly
> to provide a build system independent of the local environment. I
> dread the idea of writing instructions about how to save an archive
> necessary for my application in the local maven repository. It would
> be a major putoff for many readers of the book and a source of errors.

Can you set up a website for your book that includes a suitable
repository?

>  It could be argued that the resource should exist in ibiblio, but
> this is not a realistic workaround. Some resources simply can not be
> uploaded,

> either because of its pre-release status,
this is what SNAPSHOT is for

>  for licensing constraints
In this case automatic download from a URL won't work either

>  or simply to avoid the awkward upload requests for ibiblio
If this is still true, it is a process bug not related to the maven
structure.

> . Would it not be necessary to implement automatic download from the
> specified URL should it not exist in the local repository? A
> workaround has been previously suggested in this mailing list (add
> URLs to maven.repo.remote) but using the <url> element is much more
> intuitive (it is not intuitive as of now, where this element is used
> only for documentation purposes).

Hijacking the url tag for purposes of automated download would break
its current function of letting people answer the question, "What does
this do, anyway?"

I fear that adding a second way to obtain artifacts will result in
wholesale confusion.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Automatic download of resources not found in ibiblio

Posted by Sancho Neves-Graca <sa...@neves-graca.org>.
Maven provides the functionality to include resources not in
ibiblio.org. I am not arguing about that. All that I want to do can be
done with Maven maven.repo.remote, but as I mentioned, this has
potential limitations. My suggestion is just to review whether this
mechanism is the best that can be offered. The reason I am not
considering including libraries with the project source code is that
this is in contradiction with the basic premise of Maven as a build
framework, rather than as a build tool such as Ant. In my opinion,
including third-party libraries in the project is an anti-pattern and
avoiding it was one of the reasons that raised my interest in Maven. I
do not want JARs all over the repository (since several projects will
have the same JARs), and I do not want downloads of a bunch of JARs
every time a project is checked out. Consider package management
systems such as Red Hat RPMs, FreeBSD ports, Perl CPAN etc. The
resources can be fetched from whatever URLs are defined in the build
framework WITHOUT any user intervention. Why not offer this in Maven
too without overloading maven.repo.remote?

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sancho Neves-Graca <sa...@neves-graca.org>.