Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Tobias Hummrich <th...@insiders.de> on 2003/06/04 10:22:17 UTC

communication between portlets

Hi,

I'm trying to create a web application using Jetspeed, but I'm not sure
if it (or any portal framework, for that matter) offers the
functionality that I need. More specifically, I'd like to know these two
things:

1. How can the result of a request sent to one portlet be displayed in a
different portlet?

2. How can a portlet access the state of another portlet?

Basically, what I'm trying to do is implement a portal that behaves like
an MDI application. Is that possible, or do I have the wrong idea about
portals?

Thanks in advance.

--
Tobias

YNT: communication between portlets

Posted by Ender Hikmet KILIÇOÐLU <en...@kilicoglu.nom.tr>.
yes but do not forget that there is an order for portlet process and it
depends on page layout. Maybe you can use global action without giving
js_peid so every portlet get this action. Maybe forward tool used for
internal forwards?

Ender

Am Wednesday 04 June 2003 10:22 schrieb Tobias Hummrich:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a web application using Jetspeed, but I'm not sure
> if it (or any portal framework, for that matter) offers the
> functionality that I need. More specifically, I'd like to know these two
> things:
>
> 1. How can the result of a request sent to one portlet be displayed in a
> different portlet?

This is no problem. All portlets share the same request/response object, so
you can have a form in one portlet and read the values in another portlet
via
request.getParameter() or runData.getParameters() and then display the
result
in this portlet.

> 2. How can a portlet access the state of another portlet?

Do you mean closed/minimized etc. ? I'm afraid I don't know this.
Stefan

--
Stefan Kuhn M. A.
Cologne University BioInformatics Center (http://www.cubic.uni-koeln.de)