Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk> on 2008/05/19 19:23:32 UTC

C2.2 Tutorial comment

I've been prompted by the recent C2.2 release announcement to follow the
web tutorial [1].

On the whole it's been very good but I've come across a stumbling block
(no pun intended!) toward the end of the series.  Having got to the part
which talks about deploying web applications [2] the text under the
sub-heading "Using a block within the web application" says to use: -

  mvn package jetty:run

to get the newly created Cocoon web application to run.  Unfortunately,
I get the following which makes me suspect a step in the instructions is
missing somewhere: -

D:\projects\cocoon\getting-started-app\myCocoonWebapp>mvn package jetty:run
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jetty'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building myCocoonWebapp
[INFO]    task-segment: [package, jetty:run]
[INFO]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) com.mycompany:myBlock1:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.mycompany
-DartifactId=myBlock1 -Dv
ersion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

there:

      mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=com.mycompany
-DartifactId=myBlock1 -Dver
sion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url]
-DrepositoryI
d=[id]

  Path to dependency:
        1) com.mycompany:myCocoonWebapp:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT
        2) com.mycompany:myBlock1:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  com.mycompany:myCocoonWebapp:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

[INFO] Total time: 9 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon May 19 17:43:11 BST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 13M/24M

I'm using Maven 2.0.9 on Windows XP but I have a feeling that would make
little difference here.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html
[2] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1362_1_1.html

Re: C2.2 Tutorial comment

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi Grek,

> Yep, there is missing step in tutorials. Go to myBlock1/ and execute:
>
>   mvn install
>
> then do the same for myBlock2. This will install blocks into local
> Maven repository so myCocoonWebapp can find them. Then you can return
> to back to the tutorial on deployment.

Thanks.  That did it.

David.

Re: C2.2 Tutorial comment

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
David Legg pisze:
> I've been prompted by the recent C2.2 release announcement to follow the
> web tutorial [1].
>
> On the whole it's been very good but I've come across a stumbling block
> (no pun intended!) toward the end of the series.  Having got to the part
> which talks about deploying web applications [2] the text under the
> sub-heading "Using a block within the web application" says to use: -
>
>  mvn package jetty:run
>
> to get the newly created Cocoon web application to run.  Unfortunately,
> I get the following which makes me suspect a step in the instructions is
> missing somewhere: -
>
> D:\projects\cocoon\getting-started-app\myCocoonWebapp>mvn package jetty:run

[...]

> Missing:
> ----------
> 1) com.mycompany:myBlock1:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

[...]

Yep, there is missing step in tutorials. Go to myBlock1/ and execute:

   mvn install

then do the same for myBlock2. This will install blocks into local Maven repository so
myCocoonWebapp can find them. Then you can return to back to the tutorial on deployment.

I hope that helps you.

PS. Thanks for reporting, I'll fix this right away.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

I had the same problem.

Posted by Matthew Monkan <ma...@ieee.org>.
I can't help you, but I just wanted to mention that I was running through the
2.2 tutorials today as well and ran into the same exact problem. :,(