Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Joel Hockey <jh...@dialectsolutions.com> on 2003/06/20 06:13:59 UTC

Using Intake without turbine

I am using turbine wiht intake.  I also have another servlet within the same
webapp as turbine that I would like to use intake with.  The reason for a
separate servlet is because I don't really like the way turbine does URL
paths, and I have different security constraints for it.

Is this possible?  How would I do this.

>From looking at intake, it seems that I would either need to create a
RunData object to call IntakeTool.init() or I need to override the current
init method so that it can access the HttpServletRequest parameters without
the RunData object.

Is anyone doing this already?  Could you offer any suggestions?

Thanks, Joel

RE: Using Intake without turbine

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

Are you referring to the way it uses path information to pass variables?
You do have the option of using query stings for some of it.  If there
is interest, we could allow more to be passed in the query string
instead of in the path info.  I know this does not solve you immediate
problem, I am just curious.

You could also extend the pull tools used to generate the URLs.  By
doing so, you can decide what you want passed in the path and what you
want in the query string.  If you can tell me more about what is causing
a problem for you, I can tell you more about exactly where you would
need to make the changes.

> Is this possible?  How would I do this.

It is possible...

> From looking at intake, it seems that I would either need to
> create a RunData object to call IntakeTool.init() or I need
> to override the current init method so that it can access the
> HttpServletRequest parameters without the RunData object.

Without looking at the code, I can tell you that intake mostly uses the
ParameterParser internally.  You sould be able to make a few changes to
just pass in the ParameterParser.  You would need to make the most
changes to TurbineIntakeService.init() and IntakeTool.init().