Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/22 10:22:26 UTC

Progress check for 3.5.0

I'm currently waiting on Hervé to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.

Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)

Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock towards
3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)

If you miss the boat, you can catch the next one, but we need to get this
project into a rhythm.

-Stephen

P.S. Hervé if you don't have the time to release resolver this week I let
me know and I'll pick it up
--
Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Tue 31 Jan 2017 at 19:29, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-01-22 um 11:22 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> > I'm currently waiting on Hervé to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.
> >
> > Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)
> >
> > Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock
> towards
> > 3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)
>
> Two more issue for FIX-3.5.0:
> MNG-6136 Upgrade Maven Wagon to 2.12
> MNG-6137 Clean up duplicate dependencies caused by incomplete Wagon HTTP
> Provider exclusions
>
> both are trivial POM changes, branches pass all tests on Jenkins.

Ok
Go for it

> Who seconds?
>
> Michael

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-01-22 um 11:22 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> I'm currently waiting on Hervé to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.
>
> Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)
>
> Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock towards
> 3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)
>
> If you miss the boat, you can catch the next one, but we need to get this
> project into a rhythm.

Please remove MNG-6029 from the list. We have previously agreed that it
will be superseded with MNG-6147 (add to list) MNG-6149 (targeted 3.5.1).

Michael

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-01-25 um 22:08 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> Am 01/25/17 um 20:53 schrieb Michael Osipov:

>>> I started already working on the blessed issues. Do I need someone's
>>> else consent to merge my issue branch into master assuming that it
>>> passes the build in Jenkins?
>>>

>> I still have an unagreed list of issues for FIX-3.5.0:
>>
>> MNG-5538 mvn start script causes cygwin warning
>   ^
> FIX-3.5.0
>
>> MNG-5567 Zip files are not included in classpaths at all
>   ^
> FIX-3.5.1 as 3.5.0 no longer would be a drop in replacement.
>
>> MNG-5579 Unify error output/check logic from shell and batch scripts
>
>   ^
> FIX-3.5.0
>
>> MNG-5823 mvnDebug doesn't work with M2_HOME with spaces - missing quotes
>   ^
> FIX-3.5.0
>
>> MNG-6144 DefaultWagonManagerTest#testGetMissingJarForced() passed
>> incorrect value
>> MNG-6145 Remove non-existent m2 include in component.xml
>> MNG-6146 Several small stylistic improvements to code and documentation
>
> Haven't looked at those. If they stop making 3.5.0 a drop in replacement
> for 3.3.9, I'd say FIX-3.5.1.

The first fixes only a test, no main code change. The second removes a
non-existent ref, no-op. The last one is either docs or formatting
improvement.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 01/25/17 um 20:53 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> Am 2017-01-22 um 13:58 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>> Am 2017-01-22 um 11:22 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>>> I'm currently waiting on Herv� to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.
>>>
>>> Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)
>>>
>>> Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock
>>> towards
>>> 3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)
>>>
>>> If you miss the boat, you can catch the next one, but we need to get this
>>> project into a rhythm.
>>>

>> I started already working on the blessed issues. Do I need someone's
>> else consent to merge my issue branch into master assuming that it
>> passes the build in Jenkins?
>>

> I still have an unagreed list of issues for FIX-3.5.0:
>
> MNG-5538 mvn start script causes cygwin warning
  ^
FIX-3.5.0

> MNG-5567 Zip files are not included in classpaths at all
  ^
FIX-3.5.1 as 3.5.0 no longer would be a drop in replacement.

> MNG-5579 Unify error output/check logic from shell and batch scripts

  ^
FIX-3.5.0

> MNG-5823 mvnDebug doesn't work with M2_HOME with spaces - missing quotes
  ^
FIX-3.5.0

> MNG-6144 DefaultWagonManagerTest#testGetMissingJarForced() passed
> incorrect value
> MNG-6145 Remove non-existent m2 include in component.xml
> MNG-6146 Several small stylistic improvements to code and documentation

Haven't looked at those. If they stop making 3.5.0 a drop in replacement
for 3.3.9, I'd say FIX-3.5.1.

Christian

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I think the MNG-5567 should be moved to 3.5.1 as Stephen suggested but
the rest could be part of 3.5.0...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
5567 affects classpaths so I would prefer to keep it for 3.5.1 as that way
it is separate from the resolver change

On Wed 25 Jan 2017 at 19:54, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-01-22 um 13:58 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> > Am 2017-01-22 um 11:22 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> >> I'm currently waiting on Hervé to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.
> >>
> >> Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)
> >>
> >> Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock
> >> towards
> >> 3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)
> >>
> >> If you miss the boat, you can catch the next one, but we need to get
> this
> >> project into a rhythm.
> >>

> > I started already working on the blessed issues. Do I need someone's
> > else consent to merge my issue branch into master assuming that it
> > passes the build in Jenkins?
> >

> I still have an unagreed list of issues for FIX-3.5.0:
>
> MNG-5538 mvn start script causes cygwin warning
> MNG-5567 Zip files are not included in classpaths at all
> MNG-5579 Unify error output/check logic from shell and batch scripts
> MNG-5823 mvnDebug doesn't work with M2_HOME with spaces - missing quotes
> MNG-6144 DefaultWagonManagerTest#testGetMissingJarForced() passed
> incorrect value
> MNG-6145 Remove non-existent m2 include in component.xml
> MNG-6146 Several small stylistic improvements to code and documentation
>
> Please comment/object, if no comments are received within 72 h, I will
> assume silent agreement.
>
> Michael

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
If you have a clean build, it is on the agreed list and you are not
changing integration tests, merge away.

If you have any doubt or concerns, raise them on the list and give it 72h.
Merge if nobody comments in 72h

On Sun 22 Jan 2017 at 12:58, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-01-22 um 11:22 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > I'm currently waiting on Hervé to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.
>

> > Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)
>

> > Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock
> towards
>
> > 3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)
>

> > If you miss the boat, you can catch the next one, but we need to get this
>
> > project into a rhythm.
>

> I started already working on the blessed issues. Do I need someone's
>
> else consent to merge my issue branch into master assuming that it
>
> passes the build in Jenkins?
>

> I also have several issues need to be seconed by someone else:
>

> MNG-5823 mvnDebug doesn't work with M2_HOME with spaces - missing quotes
>
> MNG-5837 Syntax error in bin/mvn on Solaris SPARC
>
> MNG-6146 Several small stylistic improvements to code and documentation
>
> MNG-6144 DefaultWagonManagerTest#testGetMissingJarForced() passed
>
> incorrect value
>
> MNG-6145 Remove non-existent m2 include in component.xml
>
> MNG-5579 Unify error output/check logic from shell and batch scripts
>

> They are safe (imho) for FIX-3.5.0
>

> Michael

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 01/22/17 um 22:20 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> Please just name each branch by the issue it is using
>
> Naming branches MNG-xxx+MNG-yyy is not necessary
>
> We can see in the history that it's On top and the names will get
> ridiculous as you add more

That's why I stopped creating even more ridiculous branches ;-)

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Sun 22 Jan 2017 at 21:12, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 01/22/17 um 20:15 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > If you want to stack your branches in order that's fine and would save
>
> > rebasing.
>

> > Just start with the first and push that as first issue's branch, then
>
> > continue with second issue on top of first, etc.
>

> > We'll see from the branch history and if something breaks along the way
> we
>
> > can identify it easily.
>

> Good idea. Will do exactly that. No need to branch off of master. Will
>
> branch off of branches for issues related to each other. Thanks.

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Sun 22 Jan 2017 at 17:25, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 22.01.2017 um 18:14 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > Why are you needing to rebase constantly?
>

> > Unless the merge has conflicts you should be fine pushing to master post
>
> > merge... if there is a test failure post merge (due to an unanticipated
>
> > interaction) we can just add the fix on top
>

> If something changes on master, I'd need to pull those changes in, or I
>
> cannot fast-forward push the branch to master. I have quite a few issues
>
> updating the DefaultModelBuilder, for example. I created multiple
>
> branches for those issues. Merging them one by one to master means I
>
> need to rebase the other branches and resolve any conflicts. Having all
>
> those related issues on a single branch would look similar to the
>
> pre-reset-master branch with the only difference that commits are
>
> squashed by issue. We are doing this to ease review. It would be way
>
> easier here if I could create a single branch for all related issues.
>
> Effort is growing exponentially using the RTC process with branches here.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Christian

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Sun 22 Jan 2017 at 16:36, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 22.01.2017 um 13:58 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>
> > Am 2017-01-22 um 11:22 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> >> I'm currently waiting on Hervé to start the 1.0.3 release of resolver.
>

> >> Once we get that I'm going to start cutting RCs (I plan 2 a week apart)
>

> >> Once we have a stable RC I will cut the release, and start a clock
> towards
>
> >> 3.5.1 (6 weeks approx)
>

> >> If you miss the boat, you can catch the next one, but we need to get
> this
>
> >> project into a rhythm.
>

> > I started already working on the blessed issues. Do I need someone's
>
> > else consent to merge my issue branch into master assuming that it
>
> > passes the build in Jenkins?
>

> > I also have several issues need to be seconed by someone else:
>

> > MNG-5823 mvnDebug doesn't work with M2_HOME with spaces - missing quotes
>

> FIX-3.5.0
>

> > MNG-5837 Syntax error in bin/mvn on Solaris SPARC
>

> FIX-3.5.0
>

> I haven't looked at the others but I'd trust you know what you are doing
>
> and would just say FIX-3.5.0 to them as well. Just provide a branch to
>
> review. If that gets merged to the 3.5.0 master or to 3.5.1 or 3.6.0
>
> does not matter. I have to rebase quite a lot of branches myself already
>
> whenever master changes. By the way, can you please review the issues in
>
> JIRA with 3.5.0-candidate? Maybe some of them should be FIX-3.5.0 as well.
>

> <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%203.5.0-candidate%20AND%20project%20%3D%20MNG%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20ASC
> >

> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Christian

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Go for it

On Sun 22 Jan 2017 at 22:14, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-01-22 um 21:18 schrieb Michael Osipov:

> >> FIX-3.5.0
>

> > This is a trivial fix but to be more precise, it has to be split it two
>
> > separate issues:
>

> > 1. local issue: naive Linux user approach assuming that Bash is
>
> > available everywhere
>
> > 2. non-POSIX shell on Solaris: I had this issue aleady with a m4 macro
>
> > for the Subversion autoconf files. This is purely a Solaris issue
>
> > absolutely not related to first.
>

> Just made a little investigation on this. There has been some issue mess
>
> in JIRA on with related to Solaris. The upshot it that I have closed a
>
> duplicate issue and MNG-5837 is a duplicate of MNG-5829 and MNG-5852
>
> which properly split the two issues on Solaris. Therefore, I propose the
>
> latter two issue as FIX-3.5.0 and close the former as WONTFIX duplicate
>
> and break the commit apart.
>

> Who seconds?
>

> Michael

Sent from my phone

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-01-22 um 22:36 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> [..]
> , MNG-6112, MNG-6113 are FIX-3.5.0 for me.
>
> FIX-3.5.0
>
> They are so simple, they do not even require a branch and can be cherry
> picked to master right now.

I fully agree here.
@Stephen, you have expressed some concerned about these issues on the
wiki page. One is just text, the other one proper behavior. We have
required for a long time that release repos are never updated. This is
just a logical consequence. If you do not object, I'd remove your
concern and promote it to FIX-3.5.0.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 01/22/17 um 21:18 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> Am 2017-01-22 um 17:35 schrieb Christian Schulte:
>> Am 22.01.2017 um 13:58 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>>> [..]
>>> MNG-5837 Syntax error in bin/mvn on Solaris SPARC
>>
>> FIX-3.5.0
>
> This is a trivial fix but to be more precise, it has to be split it two
> separate issues:
>
> 1. local issue: naive Linux user approach assuming that Bash is
> available everywhere
> 2. non-POSIX shell on Solaris: I had this issue aleady with a m4 macro
> for the Subversion autoconf files. This is purely a Solaris issue
> absolutely not related to first.
>
> I will rather supersede those issues.
>
>> I haven't looked at the others but I'd trust you know what you are doing
>> and would just say FIX-3.5.0 to them as well. Just provide a branch to
>> review. If that gets merged to the 3.5.0 master or to 3.5.1 or 3.6.0
>> does not matter. I have to rebase quite a lot of branches myself already
>> whenever master changes. By the way, can you please review the issues in
>> JIRA with 3.5.0-candidate? Maybe some of them should be FIX-3.5.0 as well.
>>
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%203.5.0-candidate%20AND%20project%20%3D%20MNG%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20ASC>
>
> MNG-5297

FIX-3.5.0

MNG-5670

FIX-3.5.0. I just updated the version in JIRA to 3.5.0. Fix is part of
MNG-6105 which already is part of 3.5.0.

MNG-5904

FIX-3.5.0. Removing the Ant build is something not changing a single
line of code.

, MNG-6112, MNG-6113 are FIX-3.5.0 for me.

FIX-3.5.0

They are so simple, they do not even require a branch and can be cherry
picked to master right now.

@Stephen: Not sure how the Wiki page is meant to be updated. Can you add
these issues to Maven 3.5.0?

Christian

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-01-22 um 17:35 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> Am 22.01.2017 um 13:58 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>> [..]
>> MNG-5837 Syntax error in bin/mvn on Solaris SPARC
>
> FIX-3.5.0

This is a trivial fix but to be more precise, it has to be split it two
separate issues:

1. local issue: naive Linux user approach assuming that Bash is
available everywhere
2. non-POSIX shell on Solaris: I had this issue aleady with a m4 macro
for the Subversion autoconf files. This is purely a Solaris issue
absolutely not related to first.

I will rather supersede those issues.

> I haven't looked at the others but I'd trust you know what you are doing
> and would just say FIX-3.5.0 to them as well. Just provide a branch to
> review. If that gets merged to the 3.5.0 master or to 3.5.1 or 3.6.0
> does not matter. I have to rebase quite a lot of branches myself already
> whenever master changes. By the way, can you please review the issues in
> JIRA with 3.5.0-candidate? Maybe some of them should be FIX-3.5.0 as well.
>
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%203.5.0-candidate%20AND%20project%20%3D%20MNG%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20ASC>

MNG-5297, MNG-5670, MNG-5904, MNG-6112, MNG-6113 are FIX-3.5.0 for me.
The rest requires more insight.

Michael

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-01-31 um 03:37 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> Le dimanche 29 janvier 2017, 22:11:16 CET Michael Osipov a écrit :
>> Am 2017-01-29 um 20:47 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
>>> resolver integration is ready in MNG-6110 branch: please review
>>> I'll merge in 48h
>>
>> I believe that bfc35976e2883bb922ef6e1787917a28215532b7 and
>> 37c936d0ff778967dd4d9f68edfd60c3bea76e17 should be one commit because
>> they are highly coupled.
> yes, they are coupled, but I find it useful to keep 2 visible steps: using the
> new component is easy, renaming module to match the new naming is more complex

That's fine as long as both commit links are visible in issue log.

>> 9d94541f7deaf784f3bc2157c1a3c149907538b8 should be merged seperately
>> because it reflects two distinct changes of the dependency overview, not
>> necessarily Resolver change.
> it is separate: what to you want me to do? A separate branch? Isn't it too
> extreme?

No need for a seperate branch, but the update of the drawing included
SLF4J provider also which is completely unrelated to the resolver
change. Diametral changes shouldn't simply slip in.

>>> I prepared MNG-5878 branch for "add support for module name != artifactId
>>> in every calculated URLs (project, SCM, site): special project.directory
>>> property"
>>> I'd like to have seconds to merge that branch into 3.5.0
>>
>> Left come comments.
> thanks, done (when agreeing, or discussing when not immediately agreeing :) )

Still working on...

>> In general, both branches are fine.
> on MNG-5878, in addition to the review that you did (thank you), I need an
> explicit second to merge into 3.5.0, since this issue was not agreed yet (and
> I don't want to fool anybody)

I am secoding both issues for FIX-3.5.0.

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 29 janvier 2017, 22:11:16 CET Michael Osipov a écrit :
> Am 2017-01-29 um 20:47 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> > resolver integration is ready in MNG-6110 branch: please review
> > I'll merge in 48h
>
> I believe that bfc35976e2883bb922ef6e1787917a28215532b7 and
> 37c936d0ff778967dd4d9f68edfd60c3bea76e17 should be one commit because
> they are highly coupled.
yes, they are coupled, but I find it useful to keep 2 visible steps: using the
new component is easy, renaming module to match the new naming is more complex

> 9d94541f7deaf784f3bc2157c1a3c149907538b8 should be merged seperately
> because it reflects two distinct changes of the dependency overview, not
> necessarily Resolver change.
it is separate: what to you want me to do? A separate branch? Isn't it too
extreme?

> > I prepared MNG-5878 branch for "add support for module name != artifactId
> > in every calculated URLs (project, SCM, site): special project.directory
> > property"
> > I'd like to have seconds to merge that branch into 3.5.0
>
> Left come comments.
thanks, done (when agreeing, or discussing when not immediately agreeing :) )

> In general, both branches are fine.
on MNG-5878, in addition to the review that you did (thank you), I need an
explicit second to merge into 3.5.0, since this issue was not agreed yet (and
I don't want to fool anybody)

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Progress check for 3.5.0