Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dong Wenyu <wy...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/03 04:05:42 UTC

How to make Tomcat 4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 work?

I have been confused for weeks about Tomcat 4.01 +
Apache http server 1.3.19.

1, Does Tomact 4.01 alone support servlet already?
Does it necessary to install JServ in addition as the
case with Tomcat 3.x?

2, Many books recommend the configuration of Tomcat +
pache http server. Does it make any sense? Couldn't
Tomcat 4.01 alone serve as a http server?

3, Anyone would give me instructions to connect Tomcat
4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 ?  Or is there
webpages to find them?

Thank you very much in advance.

sincerely,
Dong Wenyu

RE: Apache + Tomcat ... some questions

Posted by Mike Millson <mg...@atsga.com>.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell using the
Warp connector, you cannot do what you're talking about below. What I see
happening is that you can specify directories that you want Tomcat to serve
and directories you want Apache to serve. You cannot put html pages and jsp
pages in the same directory and have Tomcat serve the jsp and Apache serve
the html.

Posted by Adrian Caneva <ac...@nexttech.com.ar>.
Hi,
[...]

==========================
  Adrian Caneva
  NEXT TECHNOLOGY SRL
  La Rioja 26
  (T4000ISB) Tucuman
  Tel/Fax +54 381 4219105
  acaneva@nexttech.com.ar
  www.nexttech.com.ar

Re: How to make Tomcat 4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 work?

Posted by Pascal Forget <to...@ubeans.com>.
Dong Wenyu wrote:

>1, Does Tomact 4.01 alone support servlet already?
>Does it necessary to install JServ in addition as the
>case with Tomcat 3.x?

You must install the mod_jk.so module in the Apache web server if you
use tomcat and apache.

>2, Many books recommend the configuration of Tomcat +
>pache http server. Does it make any sense? Couldn't
>Tomcat 4.01 alone serve as a http server?

Tomcat is much slower than Apache at delivering static content.  If your
site
has a lot of that, for example if you are developing a real estate web site
with lots of pictures, then you should use Apache to deliver the images.

Tomcat 4.01 can be used as a standalone web server, and in many cases
it is faster than an apache-tomcat configuration.  The only way of knowing
for sure is to try both configurations and to see which one is faster.

>3, Anyone would give me instructions to connect Tomcat
>4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 ?  Or is there
>webpages to find them?

www.ubeans.com/tomcat

Regards,

Pascal Forget

Re: How to make Tomcat 4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 work?

Posted by rakesh <ra...@iservindia.com>.
Tomcat looks all the servlet under WEB-INF/classes directory so amke ythese
directories under ur servlet directory and put all the class files there

thanks
rakesh