Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org> on 2018/12/12 17:07:16 UTC

Migrating ZooKeeper to GitBox

Hi dev team,

Have you seen this?

https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/relocation-of-apache-git-repositories <https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/relocation-of-apache-git-repositories>

I think we should volunteer for a coordinated migration of ZooKeeper, although the project is not too big, so the impact of a forced process probably wouldn’t be so much.

There’re some benefits though:
- We could move to GitBox earlier rather than later, so we could take advantage of GitHub write access for example,
- Migration needs a write-lock in place during the process, so we can avoid some unfortunate surprises,
- git-wip-us.apache.org <http://git-wip-us.apache.org/> will have CNAMEs to gitbox, so it’ll be operational for some time, but the read-only git.apache.org <http://git.apache.org/> will go away (not sure about the timing though), that we use in some of our Jenkins builds. It would be better to migrate Jenkins configs in a coordinated fashion rather than when the house is burning.

There’re a bunch of unkowns in each project, hence Infra guys recommend the coordinated way, but we need an agreement in the community, so please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Andor

Re: Migrating ZooKeeper to GitBox

Posted by Andor Molnár <an...@apache.org>.
Important bits from Infra, if you missed it:

"Zookeeper is officially gone from the listing on git.apache.org, as it
would otherwise cause issues with github."

(git.apache.org gone, but...) "You can use the gitbox or github repo
URL, should be no problems with that."

Andor

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andor Molnár <an...@apache.org>.