Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com> on 2010/02/17 17:04:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Hello,

I am new to this but hope that you can help me.

I have 2 virtual domain websites published at http://80.189.101.120/
isinglive/ and http://80.189.101.120/cantoenvivo/ respectively.

The following domains: http://isinglive.co.uk and http://
cantoenvivo.com are respectively forwarded to the above url's using
my hosts framed web forwarding.

For example when browser clicks on page http://80.189.101.120/
isinglive/rosario.php the browser url bar will show http://
isinglive.co.uk.

What I want to achieve is that when a browser clicks on http://
80.189.101.120/isinglive/rosario.php, I want apache to send http://
isinglive.co.uk/rosario.php to the browser (not the former) or if
http://80.189.101.120/cantoenvivo/filosofia.php is clicked show
http://cantoenvivo.com/filosofia.php.

How can I get apache to do dynamically this dynamically for each
virtual domain?

It is really important for me that the URL as described is sent to
the browser - without it browsers cannot bookmark pages.

If there is any more information that you need to help with this
please let me know and i will post it.

Thanks Rupert

Never b sharp, never b flat, always b natural.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.
On 25 Feb 2010, at 01:40, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Daniel Reinhardt
> <cr...@cryptodan.net> wrote:

I think this was my original question.  I am new to this and was
hoping for some help.  How do I configure apache on OS x to return
the domain/etc instead of the ip/etc.  I have 2 virtual hosts behind
a router  - if the virtual hosts are setup wrong and is the cause of
this then I would be grateful for some guidance on how I can alter
it.  However, everthing seems to be working fine except this issue.

Thanks Rupert

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:10 AM, Lester Caine wrote:

>> I'm saying your webpage is weird, can you explain why your links are
>> using the IP instead of the hostname?
>
> Jonathan ... Daniel is just trying to help Robert out.
> It is Robert that has the 'weird webpages', and I suspect is is because he is unable to view his pages locally because a third party is providing the dns mapping.

If I might step in here and cut through the noise ...

There's no mystery here at all. Let me explain what is happening.

You are using a web forwarding service. They are not a DNS mapper, or even a real forwarder. Instead, they are loading your website in a Frame set. You can see this quite clearly by going to http://isinglive.co.uk/ and viewing the source. Since your site is loading in a frame, when you set a bookmark it is not a bookmark for the content of the frame, but for the frame container.

The solution to this problem is to not use this forwarding service. It is not possible to do what you want while using a frame-based forwarding service.

As to why someone else was able to make bookmarks - that's simply because they're not looking at the same URL. Instead of looking at the top-frame container, they are looking at the frame content page.

Again, this is no mystery, and is a very common problem - even expected - with this type of forwarder.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Rupert Reid wrote:

> 123-reg does not allow one to opt out of web forwarding as such.  There is an option for "No web forwarding" but this will compulsorily point to 123-Reg default page if anyone typing isinglive.co.uk into a web browser.
>
> There is only a real choice between framed or non-framed forwarding.
> - Framed forwarding will only show a fixed url of your choice e.g. http://isinglive.co.uk.
> - Non-framed forwarding will show the host address e.g. http://80.189.101.120/isinglive/.
>
> In this circumstance I do not want to use non-framed forwarding because some browser (IE) creates an alert message warning the browser that the web address is non standard.
>
> How have you been able to overcome this with 123-reg?
>
> Ideally I want the 80.189.101.120 part of the url to be replaced with isinglive.co.uk in the browser.

You can't.

It's a direct consequence of "framed forwarding", as you call it. If you use frames, this is how it's going to work.

What you need, instead, is to have your hostname isinglive.co.uk pointing to your IP address 80.189.101.120 in an actual DNS server. Without that, you cannot do what you are trying to do. This is not something that you can work around. To do what you want you MUST have DNS resolution of your hostname/domainname to your IP address. That is the only way.

--Rich

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.
On 25 Feb 2010, at 17:01, Tom Evans wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Rupert Reid
> <is...@madasafish.com> wrote:
>> My DNS host is unhelpful.  Is there a dns host that I could
>> transfer to that
>> would would allow me to abandon forwarding and fix this problem?
>>
>> Thanks Rupert
>
> I use 123-reg and do exactly this.
>
> Log in, choose the domain, click manage domain.
> In the menu that appears, click Manage DNS
> Add appropriate A records pointing www and any other subdomains at
> your IP.
> Remember to remove any web forwarding you have set up on that domain.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Tom I tried your advice but it did not work.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
Rupert Reid wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2010, at 14:13, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> Rupert
>> See Rich's post
>> It explains the problem nicely. I was off teack a little as my own
>> setup needed ip addresses for different reasons when I set it up.
>> It is the 'forwarding' that needs to be 'fixed' rather than your end :(
>>
>> --
>> Lester Caine - G8HFL
>
> Thank you Rich and Lester,
>
> This is what I thought from the begining. Before contacting this list I
> contacted my dns host 123-reg.c.uk and asked how I could resolve this -
> they told me that the problem was with my host (me) and I should contect
> them.. "... the URL on the address bar may change after the domain is
> forwarded to the destination host and it is outside our control."
>
> My DNS host is unhelpful. Is there a dns host that I could transfer to
> that would would allow me to abandon forwarding and fix this problem?

I have a fixed IP address here AND I use 1and1 as well but it's not the cheapest
approach ;) 1 and 1 are my off site backup which is why I don't mind paying.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.
On 25 Feb 2010, at 07:10, Lester Caine wrote:

> Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
>>                         From: "Rupert Reid" <isinglive@madasafish.com
>>                                     What I want to achieve is that
>> when
>>                                     a browser clicks on http://
>>                                     80.189.101.120/isinglive/
>> rosario.php
>>                                     <http://80.189.101.120/
>> isinglive/rosario.php>,
>>                                     I want apache to send  http://
>>                                     isinglive.co.uk/rosario.php
>>                                     <http://isinglive.co.uk/
>> rosario.php>
>>                                     to the browser (not the
>> former) or if
>>                                     http://80.189.101.120/
>> cantoenvivo/filosofia.php
>>                                     is  clicked show
>>                                     http://cantoenvivo.com/
>> filosofia.php.
>>
>>                                     How can I get apache to do
>>                                     dynamically this dynamically
>> for each
>>                                     virtual domain?
>>
>>                                     It is really important for me
>> that
>>                                     the URL as described is sent  to
>>                                       the browser - without it
>> browsers
>>                                     cannot bookmark pages.
>>
>>                                     If there is any more information
>>                                     that you need to help with this
>>                                     please let me know and i will
>> post it.
>
> Cutt the crap .... then people might realize who is asking and who
> is answering
>

>>     Im not doing anything weird at all.  I am going to each page, and
>>     bringing down the book mark menu and selecting Bookmark This Page
>>     and then select Done on the window.
>>
>> I'm saying your webpage is weird, can you explain why your links are
>> using the IP instead of the hostname?
>
> Jonathan ... Daniel is just trying to help Robert out.
> It is Robert that has the 'weird webpages', and I suspect is is
> because he is unable to view his pages locally because a third
> party is providing the dns mapping.
>
> Robert ... first thing to do is replace the ip addresses with the
> proper host address http://80.189.101.120/isinglive/ -> http://
> isinglive.co.uk/ then at least we have the page looking right. This
> may give you a problem LOOKING at the site from your machine, in
> which case adding
> 80.189.101.120 isinglive.co.uk
> to the 'host' file should get around that problem, but the /
> isinglive/ bit will then be a problem locally, but that is the bit
> apache virtual hosts should be taking care of.
> Before I had proper dns serving of my own website I used to have to
> look at it from the outside. I could not see it properly inside my
> IP address ;)
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL
> -----------------------------
> Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
> Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

Thanks for the advice Lester,

> Robert ... first thing to do is replace the ip addresses with the
> proper host address http://80.189.101.120/isinglive/ -> http://
> isinglive.co.uk/ then at least we have the page looking right.

If i do this in dns, then won't requests loop back to itself and
never reach my machine?

> This may give you a problem LOOKING at the site from your machine,
> in which case adding
> 80.189.101.120 isinglive.co.uk

Without changing the changing the hosts file, I am able to view the
site locally at http:isinglive.co.uk/rootfolder/ or by http://
192.168.1.4/

This is my setup:

This is what is in the hosts file:
	192.168.1.4	isinglive.co.uk

This is what is in the <VirtualHost>:

	<VirtualHost 192.168.1.4>
    	  ServerAdmin	admin@isinglive.co.uk
   	  DocumentRoot /Server/isinglive
  	  ServerName	www.isinglive.co.uk
     	  ServerAlias	isinglive
	</VirtualHost>

This is what is in the OSX Network Preferences
	Show = isinglive.co.uk
	TCP/IP
		Configure iPv4 = manually
		iP Address = 192.168.1.4

This is what the router has in LAN clients
	IP Address 	Hostname 		MAC 			Type
	192.168.1.4 	isinglive.co.uk 	00:19:e3:3b:b7:13	Static

What is wrong with this setup?

Thanks Rupert

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
LuKreme wrote:
> On 24-Feb-10 21:43, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
>> I'm saying your webpage is weird, can you explain why your links are
>> using the IP instead of the hostname?
>
> Can someone explain why these posts are 1) in HTML 2) contain multiple
> copies of the list footers 3) have no quote levels?

1 - No HTML on any of the messages here ...
2 - They were not being trimmed properly ...
3 - >> correctly being added to the text for indenting ...

> I replied to the first post, but I'm about ready to kill the thread
> based on these follow-ups.
>
> I could have sworn I set TB3 to show in text-only. Sigh.

I've got text set here and am not seeing a problem on Seamonkey ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 24-Feb-10 21:43, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
> I'm saying your webpage is weird, can you explain why your links are
> using the IP instead of the hostname?

Can someone explain why these posts are 1) in HTML 2) contain multiple
copies of the list footers 3) have no quote levels?

I replied to the first post, but I'm about ready to kill the thread
based on these follow-ups.

I could have sworn I set TB3 to show in text-only. Sigh.

--
NO. I CANNOT BE BIDDEN. I CANNOT BE FORCED. I WILL DO ONLY THAT WHICH I
KNOW TO BE RIGHT. --Mort

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Zuckerman <j....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net>.

Posted by Jonathan Zuckerman <j....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net>.

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 24-Feb-10 14:08, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
> are respectively forwarded to the above url's  using  my hosts framed
> web forwarding.

This sound, then, like the issue is with the framed web forwarding which
is specifically designed to do what you are describing. Your host would
need to be setup as a real virtualhost for you to get the full and
correct URLs you want.

Posted by Jonathan Zuckerman <j....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.

Posted by Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net>.

Posted by Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com>.

Posted by Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net>.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Rupert Reid <is...@madasafish.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am new to this but hope that you can help me.
>

> I have 2 virtual domain websites published at
> http://80.189.101.120/isinglive/ and http://80.189.101.120/cantoenvivo/
> respectively.
>
> The following domains: http://isinglive.co.uk and http://cantoenvivo.com are
> respectively forwarded to the above url's using my hosts framed web
> forwarding.
>
> For example when browser clicks on page
> http://80.189.101.120/isinglive/rosario.php the browser url bar will show
> http://isinglive.co.uk.
>

> What I want to achieve is that when a browser clicks on
> http://80.189.101.120/isinglive/rosario.php, I want apache to send
> http://isinglive.co.uk/rosario.php to the browser (not the former) or if
> http://80.189.101.120/cantoenvivo/filosofia.php is clicked show
> http://cantoenvivo.com/filosofia.php.
>
> How can I get apache to do dynamically this dynamically for each virtual
> domain?
>
> It is really important for me that the URL as described is sent to the
> browser - without it browsers cannot bookmark pages.

Yeah, that isn't how HTTP works unfortunately.

The easiest way to solve this is to host it properly. Tell your host
to change the dns to point those domains at the box serving the real
content, configure apache on that box to do proper virtualhosting, and
drop the silly framed content.

Cheers

Tom