Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by wk...@comcast.net on 2012/06/26 14:59:11 UTC

Replacing old Publisher with Open Office

Hello,
I am a observer for the National Weather Service and I use a old version of Microsoft Publisher to enter and publish my daily observations...with publisher I can set up a file/folder and insert multiple pages at once, putting the same text on each page thereby eliminating having to type or copy and paste to every page, can just enter the numerical data from my instruments on a daily basis…
I have been researching and experimenting with Open Office but unable at this time to find a method where I can do on Open Office, what I can on Publisher..it seems all you have is “Page Break”..is there a method with your program that I can use like in Publisher??. Would appreciate any feedback or assistance you can give me at this time as I am looking for a replacement for Publisher..

Thank you,
Larry Woller
COOP/SWOP Observer, NWS, ILX
Ogden, Illinois 61859

Re: Replacing old Publisher with Open Office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:08:42 +0100
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:23:56 +0200
> RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2012/6/26  <wk...@comcast.net>:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am a observer for the National Weather Service and I use a old version of Microsoft Publisher to enter and publish my daily observations...with publisher I can set up a file/folder and insert multiple pages at once, putting the same text on each page thereby eliminating having to type or copy and paste to every page, can just enter the numerical data from my instruments on a daily basis…
> > > I have been researching and experimenting with Open Office but unable at this time to find a method where I can do on Open Office, what I can on Publisher..it seems all you have is “Page Break”..is there a method with your program that I can use like in Publisher??. Would appreciate any feedback or assistance you can give me at this time as I am looking for a replacement for Publisher..
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Larry Woller
> > > COOP/SWOP Observer, NWS, ILX
> > > Ogden, Illinois 61859
> > >

> > Writer is not a DPT program: it is based on content flow, not on page
> > layout like, for example, scribus. Bot nothing prevent you from
> > copy/paste that "unit of content" you want to repeat several times,
> > separating each one with a page break. You can even automate those
> > page breaks: it is really easy to associate a page break with a
> > particular paragraph style so you can set the first paragraph of the
> > "block" to automatically insert a page break before it.
> >
> > With Writer you can also think of keeping a one page document and pick
> > you data from a database... but that's another question ;)
> >
> > For any problem with Writer or any other component, you can use our
> > community forums:
> >
> > http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/index.php
> >
> > Regards
> >

> It should be possible to set up a Template which had all the headings and spaces laid out; it is only then necessary to fill in the particulars.  See this tutorial on creating a new default template
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1161
>
> I would suggest you bring this query to the Forum at
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
> which will advise how best to approach this problem.
>
> It might also be approached by linking a database to OpenOffice's Base (a front end) and using that to populate a report form.

There may be helpful information at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/0/0d/0215WG33-UsingFormsInWriter.odt

This is for v3.3 of OpenOffice, but in respect of Writer the information should still be valid for 3.4.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Replacing old Publisher with Open Office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.