Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathon Jonathon <th...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/29 23:33:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Creating a relocatable build of apache

Hello all,

I've looked all over google for "apache relocatable" as well as the archive
for this mailing list and I've had no luck, so I've decided to post a
message.

I am currently building apache on my build machine at:
"/path/to/apache/source"  and everything works great.  However, when I copy
this "build" of apache over to my production machine, and try to start up
apache, it seems that it is looking for all the files in the incorrect
paths.  I was wondering what are some conventional, non-invasive approaches
to making this run perfectly on my production machine?

It would be really convenient if there was an environment variable I could
set that points to the path of apache.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: [users@httpd] Creating a relocatable build of apache

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Jonathon Jonathon <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  However, I am a bit confused.
>
> So after, I copy everything from my build directory to my new machine,  I
> should edit the bin/envvars and point them to the apache libs.  However,
> inside the "apachectl" script,  I see that HTTPD is being hardcoded to the
> "build" machines build directory, so when I copy that over to my production
> machine and try to run "apachectl -k start" it tells me it cannot find httpd
> :(

You'll need to update every reference you can find under your install
tree, replacing the old root with the new root.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Creating a relocatable build of apache

Posted by Jonathon Jonathon <th...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.  However, I am a bit confused.

So after, I copy everything from my build directory to my new machine,  I
should edit the bin/envvars and point them to the apache libs.  However,
inside the "apachectl" script,  I see that HTTPD is being hardcoded to the
"build" machines build directory, so when I copy that over to my production
machine and try to run "apachectl -k start" it tells me it cannot find httpd
:(

Thanks,
Jonathon

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.