Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bennett Haselton <be...@peacefire.org> on 2010/07/17 03:18:16 UTC

[users@httpd] default values changed in httpd.conf from 2.2.15 to 2.2.3?

I'm working my way through some instructions on how to build my own
copy of Apache and then copy it over in place of my existing Apache.

My existing Apache is version 2.2.15, and the new one that I built
from source, is version 2.2.3.  The httpd.conf file from the old
Apache has some lines in it like:

Timeout 120

I know what all of those lines mean, but I'm confused because they
don't exist in the httpd.conf file for the new Apache 2.2.3 that I
built from source.  And there's a directory /root/httpd/conf
containing other .conf files that can be optionally loaded by
uncommenting other lines in the Apache 2.2.3 httpd.conf file, but I
searched those files and none of them contain a "Timeout" line, either.

Other directives, like KeepAlive, are defined in
/root/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-default.conf, but those conf files are
commented out by default in httpd.conf.

So, where does Apache 2.2.3 get its values for things like "Timeout"
and "KeepAlive", does it just use hard-coded values that are used by
defaults when the values aren't specified in the conf files?

Was there a general shift sometime between 2.2.15 and 2.2.3 regarding
the philosophy of what should be specified in conf files -- 2.2.15
seems to specify values in the confs and depend on you to change
them, whereas 2.2.3 doesn't specify values at all and depends on you
to *add* (or uncomment) the lines if you want to use them.  (I like
the old way better, since then you could see what values your
existing Apache was using, before you added lines changing those values!)

	-Bennett