Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/09/14 07:26:18 UTC

build/* --> target/*

Hi,

It looks like a lot more projects have moved to storing intermediate files in
a directory named "target/*" rather than "build/*". It does not seem useful
to continue. Is there still anyone who objects to it?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Therefore it can be said that victorious warriors
win first, and then go to battle, while defeated
warriors go to battle first, and then seek to win."
              - Sun Tzu, the Art Of War

Re: build/* --> target/*

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:35, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:26:18PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like a lot more projects have moved to storing intermediate
> > files in a directory named "target/*" rather than "build/*". It does not
> > seem useful to continue. Is there still anyone who objects to it?
>
> Incidentally, does anyone know the logic behind the name 'target'? I can
> understand 'build' == stuff generated by the build process, so 'target'
> == ?

Well it is mainly because most of the builds that Jon setup used "build" to
indicate the build utilities and build files (ie equivelent to Avalons
tools/). I think it was Craig who started using target to indicate the
"target" of your build. It mutated to intermediate files because most people
also had a dist target ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: build/* --> target/*

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:26:18PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>It looks like a lot more projects have moved to storing intermediate files in
>>a directory named "target/*" rather than "build/*". It does not seem useful
>>to continue. Is there still anyone who objects to it?
>>

>Incidentally, does anyone know the logic behind the name 'target'? I can
>understand 'build' == stuff generated by the build process, so 'target'
>== ?

Dito .. build makes sence to me - target is something different and
undefined.
Without a really compelling reason I can't see a justification for
changing what exists.
Cheers, Steve.

>--Jeff
>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Peter Donald
>>"Therefore it can be said that victorious warriors
>>win first, and then go to battle, while defeated
>>warriors go to battle first, and then seek to win."
>>              - Sun Tzu, the Art Of War

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: build/* --> target/*

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: build/* --> target/*

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 15:16, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like a lot more projects have moved to storing intermediate files in
> > a directory named "target/*" rather than "build/*". It does not seem useful
> > to continue. Is there still anyone who objects to it?
> >
>   +/- 0
>
> It is purely a jarkarta thing.  I think Maven has hastened that migration.
>
> I don't object as I don't have scripts that assume the location
> of the intermediary files.
>
> It doesn't help or degrade the building of the project so I say
> if it makes you happy go for it.

agreed.

- LSD

Re: build/* --> target/*

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like a lot more projects have moved to storing intermediate files in
> a directory named "target/*" rather than "build/*". It does not seem useful
> to continue. Is there still anyone who objects to it?

  +/- 0

It is purely a jarkarta thing.  I think Maven has hastened that migration.

I don't object as I don't have scripts that assume the location
of the intermediary files.

It doesn't help or degrade the building of the project so I say
if it makes you happy go for it.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin