Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Thorsten Mauch <ma...@imkenberg.de> on 2001/04/17 21:55:51 UTC

cocoon service

Hi all
I read in the mailing about a Cocoon Service.
But i didn't found it. I downloaded the latest CVS.
Is it it posible to build views with XML/XSL ?
Does somebody has a sample ?

Thanx Thorsten

Re: cocoon service

Posted by Leon Messerschmidt <le...@opticode.co.za>.
> Hi all
> I read in the mailing about a Cocoon Service.
> But i didn't found it. I downloaded the latest CVS.
> Is it it posible to build views with XML/XSL ?

Yes.  We're doing it all the time, using the XSLTService, and some stuff
that hasn't made their way into the Turbine CVS yet.  It uses Velocity to
add dynamic stuff into XML templates and then transforms it. Don't know
anything about Cocoon though.

> Does somebody has a sample ?

Not anything that are available outside our company.  If I weren't a
continent away I could've showed it to you :-)

If you're really interested I could help you get up and running with it...

~ Leon

Re: cocoon service

Posted by Roall Lein-Killi <ro...@griffel.no>.
Maybe I posted something about it.

I was in the need of transformation of xml dokuments and
at that moment there was no XSLTService so I made a
bastard service out of cocoon.

Today when XSLTService
is available I still use this CocoonService cause the XSLTService
just transforms my xml documents (and today also templates) but are
not doing any formatting like cocoon do.

The CocoonService is based on cocoon 1.7.4 and works with
xalan 1.1.DO1 and xerces-1.2.1

I have a plan to upgrade CocoonService but at the moment I cannot give
it any priority.

regards
killi

On Tuesday 17 April 2001 21:55, you wrote:
> Hi all
> I read in the mailing about a Cocoon Service.
> But i didn't found it. I downloaded the latest CVS.
> Is it it posible to build views with XML/XSL ?
> Does somebody has a sample ?
>
> Thanx Thorsten

Penguins are nice animals -
if you get to know them!

Re: cocoon service

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/17/01 12:55 PM, "Thorsten Mauch" <ma...@imkenberg.de> wrote:

> Is it it posible to build views with XML/XSL ?

Of course.

> Does somebody has a sample ?

No.

-jon

Re: cocoon service

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
--- Thorsten Mauch <ma...@imkenberg.de> wrote:
> I read in the mailing about a Cocoon Service.
> But i didn't found it. I downloaded the latest CVS.
> Is it it posible to build views with XML/XSL ?
> Does somebody has a sample ?
>
> Thanx Thorsten

To turn the question round somewhat. I would like to understand this
better too. If anyone can offer me pointers to this then I will try
to document what I learn and insert this into the documentation
in cvs. I might even provide a simple online example.

My problem is that I have a lot of similar documents (sf and computing
book reviews) which are currently crude html sitting in a Jyve database
(see http://www.DiverseBooks.com/ )

Since they are all roughly of the same format (text, review credits,
book credits, picture of cover, and links to Amazon) it would be wise to
convert them to XML and use Cocoon to publish them.
More work - but a better website.

Alex

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk