Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Szkudlapski <jo...@bsfc.ac.uk> on 2002/09/05 18:50:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Redirection

Hi there

I have just moved our mail server from
http://mailexample.bsfc.ac.uk/mail.cgi to http://example2.bsfc.ac.uk/horde/

but staff have set their bookmarks in I.E and Netscape to the first one..,
and have started to complain (they dont want to re-set their bookmarks!!)

is it possible that when a user goes to
http://mailexample.bsfc.ac.uk/mail.cgi  they are auto-redirected to
http://example2.bsfc.ac.uk/horde/

what do i need to put in the mail.cgi file to get it to auto-redirect to the
new mailserver, I know it should be pretty simple, but my brain just ain't
working :(.

Regards

------------------------------------
John Paul Szkudlapski (Web Manager)
Computer Services - BSFC
t: +44 151 651 3720
f: +44 151 653 4419
m: +44 780 154 2033
w: http://hermes.bsfc.ac.uk

Birkenhead Sixth Form College

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only;
If it has come to you in error please notify compserv@bsfc.ac.uk

The contents of this e-mail are the personal views of the sender,
which may not necessarily reflect those of the college.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
The college cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses
which may have come from external sources.

RE: [users@httpd] Redirection

Posted by John Szkudlapski <jo...@bsfc.ac.uk>.
thanks ....

you absolute star :)

------------------------------------
John Paul Szkudlapski (Web Manager)
Computer Services - BSFC
t: +44 151 651 3720
f: +44 151 653 4419
m: +44 780 154 2033
w: http://hermes.bsfc.ac.uk

Birkenhead Sixth Form College

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only;
If it has come to you in error please notify compserv@bsfc.ac.uk

The contents of this e-mail are the personal views of the sender,
which may not necessarily reflect those of the college.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
The college cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses
which may have come from external sources.

> but staff have set their bookmarks in I.E and Netscape to the first one..,
> and have started to complain (they dont want to re-set their bookmarks!!)
>
> is it possible that when a user goes to
> http://mailexample.bsfc.ac.uk/mail.cgi  they are auto-redirected to
> http://example2.bsfc.ac.uk/horde/
>
> what do i need to put in the mail.cgi file to get it to auto-redirect to
the
> new mailserver, I know it should be pretty simple, but my brain just ain't
> working :(.

Well, the easiest way to do this is to put
Redirect /mail.cgi http://example2.bsfc.ac.uk/horde/
in httpd.conf.  But if you would prefer to make a new mail.cgi you can
just have it output the line
Location: http://example2.bsfc.ac.uk/horde/
plus a couple \n's.

Joshua.