Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by piero de salvia <pi...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/06 11:37:51 UTC

velocity servlet base config

Hello everybody,

as I'm just starting with Velocity, I thought it would
be nice to have a doc file explaining the basic config
of a web app with Velocity.

As I understand it:

- the template dir goes under web-inf

- other resources (images, content etc) go under web
root

- no mapping of *.vm templates is necessary to the
controller servlet

- the whole site structure is flattened, and you
determine what resources to merge with your templates
only by the request parameters.

Meaning, no more:

www.mysite.com/mysection/mysubsection/mytemplate.vm

only:

www.mysite.com/myVelocityservletalias?template=mytemplate.vm&sect=mysection&subsect=mysubsection

Is that right? Isn't it against the custom of of using
dirs and subdirs for files? In the book JavaServer
Pages by Fields and Kolb, it is reccomended that URLs
be intuitive and mask tech details.

I think widespread use of Velocity will only happen if
people find this kind of topics included in the docs.

thanks to everybody

piergiorgio de salvia