Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com> on 2000/01/03 21:17:26 UTC

Magic version of Sun's XML parser?

OK, for various and sundry reasons, I'd like to try ProjectX TR2 as my
Parser.

Er, whcih TR2 should I be using? I'm unable to get Cocoon to compile with
Jakarta's projectx-tr2.jar *OR* xml.jar from Sun's website. I even tried
jaxp.jar, but no luck. The error durring build is :

/usr/src/xml-cocoon/build/src/org/apache/cocoon/parser/SunXMLParser.java:44:
class com.sun.xml.tree.XmlDocument is an abstract class. It can't be
instantiated.
        return new XmlDocument();
               ^
1 error

Thoughts?
--
- Kevin Sonney
  kevin@webslingerZ.com

Re: Magic version of Sun's XML parser?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <bm...@algx.net>.
Kevin Sonney wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > What do you mean? XML4J is just Apache Xerces with stylebook-regenerated
> > docs :)
>
> Ah. I was not aware of that. So a parser interface to XML4J should be
> trivial.  But the loss of OpenXML support in the default distro is going
> to break several apps that I know I have running. I missed the reasoning
> behind the loss of that support...

Assaf Arkin and exolab, the guys that do OpenXML, are also now on the
Xerces team. So it's going away as well.

-Brett

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Ah. I was not aware of that. So a parser interface to XML4J should be
> > trivial.  But the loss of OpenXML support in the default distro is going
> > to break several apps that I know I have running.
>
> Well, if you wrote your apps tied to a particular parser instead that on
> the DOM, this is not our fault.

I didn't write them, I sort fo inherited them. The offending party has
been chastised. <grin>

> No offense, but OpenXML has _major_ deficencies and it's not supported
> anymore (Arkin is now dedicated to merge the good parts of OpenXML into
> Xerces).

That's reasonable. It's also why, I'm sure, the xsl socument in the other
thread isn't aprsing quite right - it worked with OpenXML/Cocoon 1.5/XT
but Xerces/Xalan is stricter about some of the conventions used.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Kevin Sonney wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > What do you mean? XML4J is just Apache Xerces with stylebook-regenerated
> > docs :)
>
> Ah. I was not aware of that. So a parser interface to XML4J should be
> trivial.  But the loss of OpenXML support in the default distro is going
> to break several apps that I know I have running.

Well, if you wrote your apps tied to a particular parser instead that on
the DOM, this is not our fault.

> I missed the reasoning behind the loss of that support...

No offense, but OpenXML has _major_ deficencies and it's not supported
anymore (Arkin is now dedicated to merge the good parts of OpenXML into
Xerces).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Magic version of Sun's XML parser?

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Try using IBM Jikes or Javac from JDK 1.3 and it works. It appears a bug
> in javac but I was not able to reproduce it. Anyway, I had the exact
> same problem, but magically went away.

Weird. OK, it's worth a try if I can get versions for Linux.

> I'm using JDK 1.2.2 with latest projectx from developer.java.sun.com

Hmm. I've got Blackdown's JDK 1.2.2 RC3 so it might be that. Sun's
1.2.2. RC2 is downloading now, so I'll give that a shot before I <shudder>
try it on a Windows machine.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.