Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Purcell, Scott" <sp...@ltcgroup.com> on 2001/09/10 21:34:30 UTC

Virtual Host?

Hello,
I have Apache w/modperl running on my NT box.  The box has Samba on it, and
I can see my Unix volumes from my SGI box.

There is a volume there /DISK7 and I would like to be able to use that as a
kind of Virtual host through the Apache Web server. /DISK7 has a bunch of
.mov files that instead of copying to the htdocs directory, I would like to
be able to href link to them and have them displayed.

So my question is, where in the config (or how do I) configure the
httpd.conf to allow me to use /DISK7 as part of the doc root?

Thanks,

Scott Purcell

RE: Virtual Host?

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@CyberShell.com>.
How about a symbolic link...

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Rob Bloodgood wrote:

> > i think you may have to mount it
> > mount -t smb -o username=user,password=pass //ntserver//disk7
> > /mnt/smbshare
> >
> > then just add /mnt/smbshare to doc root!
>
> Except that, to the best of my knowledge, Samba can only mount to "regular"
> mount points on Linux.
>
> Rob
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> use Disclaimer qw/:standard/;

Medi Montaseri                               medi@CyberShell.com
Unix Distributed Systems Engineer            HTTP://www.CyberShell.com
CyberShell Engineering

RE: Virtual Host?

Posted by Rob Bloodgood <ro...@empire2.com>.

Re: Virtual Host?

Posted by clayton cottingham <dr...@smartt.com>.

Re: Virtual Host?

Posted by Rafiq Ismail <ra...@codix.net>.
I set up something similar recently.  What I would recommend is setting up
a separate samba view to 'just' that dirctory on your unix disk which you
wish to make publically accessible - set this up in your smb.conf file.
You can specify valid users (just the webserver?), whether it is writable
accross the network, default netmask etc.

You can then set appropriate write permissions on it, without making your
whole secure and wonderful unix partion vulnerable to access from your not
so wonderful NT server.  If you only need a view to those files which you
want to add to your web server readable directories, there is no need to
make the whole drive visible from the outside.  Just map that view to a
drive, point your httpd.conf at the drive and you're sorted.

R.

--
Rafiq Ismail

Software Engineer and Systems Administrator
http://www.codix.net

"All the best people in life seem to like Linux." - Steve Wozniak

Re: Virtual Host?

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@CyberShell.com>.
I think people are responding with how to fix this on a Unix. He is on
a NT.

Assuming the disk is on the Unix and the Unix is running Samba, then
just define a network drive on your NT, say

V: which mapps to \\yourunixbox\disk7

Then in your http.conf on your NT, define an alias like

Alias /wav/ "v:what\ever\folder"

And from there, URLs pointing to http://xyz/wav will be looked up
from v: