Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael <mt...@optonline.net> on 2011/05/18 03:36:20 UTC

Exceptions when starting Tomcat

I've just started using Tomcat 6.0.29 for the first time on Windows 7.  I've
used older versions of Tomcat on Windows XP.

When I start Tomcat using the .bat file in the bin folder I get the
following exception, several times:

java.util.logging.ErrorManager: 4 java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program
Files\apache-tomcat-6.0.29\logs\catalina.2011-05-17.log (Access is denied)

I suspect I need to set some file access rights in Windows 7, can someone
confirm?  If not, please explain this error.

Specific instructions for doing this for Tomcat would be great!

Thanks,

Mike

RE: Exceptions when starting Tomcat

Posted by Michael <mt...@optonline.net>.
Old dogs love attention!

Thanks for the tip.  I never (well almost never) create my folders with
spaces (and file names for that matter too)!

Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael [mailto:mtarullo463@optonline.net]
> Subject: RE: Exceptions when starting Tomcat

> BTW, Chuck the first machine I ever worked on in my professional career was
> a Burroughs mainframe, back before Burroughs became Unisys.

> So you're teaching an old dog new tricks, even though I've been doing this
> longer than my mainframe career now!

I suspect I'm an older dog - I started getting paid for working on a Univac 1108 in 1969 (with a bit of student time before that on a B5500).  Still working on the 1108 successors.

 - Chuck

RE: Exceptions when starting Tomcat

Posted by Michael <mt...@optonline.net>.
Worked like a charm Chuck.  Thanks!  Sure beats trying to figure out how to
change file access privileges when you're not a Windows sys admin!!!

BTW, Chuck the first machine I ever worked on in my professional career was
a Burroughs mainframe, back before Burroughs became Unisys.

So you're teaching an old dog new tricks, even though I've been doing this
longer than my mainframe career now!

Thanks again.  I'm off to move all my Apache apps out of Program Files, just
in case.

> When I start Tomcat using the .bat file in the bin folder I get the
> following exception, several times:

> java.util.logging.ErrorManager: 4 java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> C:\Program Files\apache-tomcat-6.0.29\logs\catalina.2011-05-17.log
> (Access is denied)

Probably easiest if you just uninstall Tomcat, download the .zip version (if
you haven't already), and reinstall it under something other than "Program
Files".  Newer versions of Windows are extremely picky about who gets to
write in that directory.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

RE: Exceptions when starting Tomcat