Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/21 23:58:14 UTC

querying hbase

are there any tools out there that can help in visualizing data stored in
Hbase? I know the shell lets you do basic stuff. But if I don't know what
rowid I am looking for or if I want to rows with family say *name* (yes SQL
like) are there any tools that can help with this? Not trying to use this
on production (although that would be nice) just dev env for now. Thank you
for any suggestionns

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Ian Varley <iv...@salesforce.com>.
Thanks for those links JM - hadn't seen any of those before. I think it's useful to have stuff like this, for new users to explore using HBase.

Re: Phoenix, I don't think it's fundamentally any more involved than any of those, it's just a library. It exposes a JDBC driver interface, so GUI tools that work with JDBC would be enabled by Phoenix.

Ian

On May 21, 2013, at 8:41 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:

Using Phoenix for that is like trying to kill a mosquito with an atomic
bomb, no? ;)

Few easy to install and use tools which I already tried:
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/haredbhbaseclie/files/
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/hbasemanagergui/
- https://github.com/NiceSystems/hrider/wiki

There might be other, but those one at least are doing the basic things to
look into you tables.

JM

2013/5/21 lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>>

Maybe Phoenix (http://phoenix-hbase.blogspot.com/) is what you are
looking for.

-- Lars

________________________________
Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
Hi Aji,
With Phoenix, you pass through the client port in your connection
string, so this would not be an issue. If you're familiar with SQL
Developer, then Phoenix supports something similar with SQuirrel:
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix#sql-client
Regards,
James

Re: querying hbase

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Just writing to say thanks folks (Jean-Marc & Lars)! I didn't know
about these tools and H-rider is so useful and easy to use.

Regards,
Shahab

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> What happens when you restart the RS?

I think 1) the master is given a heads-up, 2) all of the regions are
closed, 3) the JVM is bounced and everything is reloaded, 4) the RS comes
back up and checks in with the master, 5) the master reassigns all regions
and they are opened, and 6) the RS is back online. This would not change
from how a rolling restart is done today except with less churn.

> Suppose I'm running a scan on a completely different table and you restart
> the RS?
> What happens to me?

The client is either riding over a period of administrative unavailability
or failing the scan, depending on settings.

It's obvious why this would be unsatisfying. However, coprocessors are
system extensions tightly bound with HBase internals. The current model is
a CP upgrade is an HBase jar upgrade, in effect.  Considering changing this
model is a fine discussion to have, but let's be clear about what we want
to achieve. So far I hear the aim is hot code replacement. As far as I
know, JVMs only support that through the debugging interface (one JVM
transmits class bits to another), classes and interface signatures can't
change, and it is method by method replacement. OSGi can finesse a bundle
replacement by using a new classloader, but this means again classes and
interfaces shared between the bundle and everybody else can't change
signatures, and if both old and new bundle impls are somehow active at the
same time, their objects won't test as expected for equality, so still
somehow the old bundle must shut down / deregister from everything so its
objects aren't hanging around. Someone please correct me if I have this
wrong somehow.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM, James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>wrote:

> These approaches all sound somewhat brittle and unlikely to be relied on
> for a production system (more here: https://issues.apache.org/**
> jira/browse/HBASE-8607 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8607>).
> Sounds like a rolling restart is the best option in the near/medium term.
> Our pain points are more around how to get to the point where Phoenix can
> more easily be installed. Maybe https://issues.apache.org/**
> jira/browse/HBASE-8400 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8400>would help?
>
> I propose we move the discussion to those JIRAs.

Sounds good James. See in particular
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8607?focusedCommentId=13672287&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13672287

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Sure, but that wont change the fact that Coprocessors should go under a
> massive rewrite.

Can you elaborate a bit?

I would say we had our reasons for how things are but I don't want to
defend the design here, I'd like to hear about alternatives if you are
interested in discussing it.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Sure, but that wont change the fact that Coprocessors should go under a massive rewrite.
You're hitting a problem that Sybase faced while Informix (datablades) didn't when it came to running end user code within the engine.
But I'm dating myself...

Re: querying hbase

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Well,

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: querying hbase

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
On 05/24/2013 02:50 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM, James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>wrote:
>
>> Has there been any discussions on running the HBase server in an OSGi
>> container?
>
> I believe the only discussions have been on avoiding talk about coprocessor
> reloading, as it implies either a reimplementation of or taking on an OSGi
> runtime.
>
> Is there a benefit to restarting a regionserver in an OSGi container versus
> restarting a Java process?
>
> Or would that work otherwise like an update the coprocessor and filters in
> the container then trigger the embedded regionserver to do a quick close
> and reopen of the regions?

My thinking was that an OSGi container would allow a new version of a
coprocessor (and/or custom filter) jar to be loaded. Class conflicts
between the old jar and the new jar would no longer be a problem - you'd
never need to unload the old jar. Instead, future HBase operations that
invoke the coprocessor would cause the newly loaded jar to be used
instead of the older one. I'm not sure if this is possible or not. The
whole idea would be to prevent a rolling restart or region close/reopen.

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: querying hbase

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
Actually, with the great work you guys have been doing and the
resolution of HBASE-1936 by Jimmy Xiang, we'll be able to ease the
installation of Phoenix in our next release. You'll still need to bounce
the regions servers to reload our custom filters and coprocessors, but
you won't need to manually add the phoenix jar to the hbase classpath on
each region server (as long as the installing user has permission to
write into HDFS).

Has there been any discussions on running the HBase server in an OSGi
container? That would potentially even alleviate the need to bounce the
region servers. I didn't see a JIRA, so I created this one:

James

Re: querying hbase

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi James,