Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/17 19:29:08 UTC

Dictionaries?

What portion of the historical collection of spelling dictionaries
have travelled into the AOO project? Once upon a time, the dictionary
source data for various languages was marked up with all sorts of
'category X' licenses. Have any of these been relicensed or otherwise
pulled under the AL umbrella?

Re: Dictionaries?

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Gianluca;

The older italian version is here:

http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-myspell/

The Croatian dictionary was also relicensed but was dropped
with all the dictionaries.

Ultimately we really don't do dictionaries here in AOO so
grabbing them from other places, as long as their license
permits, is the right thing to do.

Pedro.

Re: Dictionaries?

Posted by Gianluca Turconi <pu...@letturefantastiche.com>.

Re: Dictionaries?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> What portion of the historical collection of spelling dictionaries
>> have travelled into the AOO project?

To complete Rob's answer: no dictionaries are maintained as part of the
project. I've just packaged three dictionaries for OpenOffice 3.4.1 and
the process works like this:
- Dictionaries are hosted on third-party sites (usually
extensions.openoffice.org, a community site; but any other stable
hosting will work). See for example
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-no
- They are not part of the Apache sources
- By mere aggregation, we include them in binaries. See
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/extensions.lst

> I'm not aware of any license changes on the dictionaries themselves in
> this time period, but maybe others know more.

We did have at least one license change (Russian?) but the bundling
mechanism is actually designed to retrieve external OXT files at build time.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Dictionaries?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What portion of the historical collection of spelling dictionaries
> have travelled into the AOO project? Once upon a time, the dictionary
> source data for various languages was marked up with all sorts of
> 'category X' licenses. Have any of these been relicensed or otherwise
> pulled under the AL umbrella?

We took this through legal-discuss last year, and it was approved as
falling under the "mere aggregation" clause of GPL, so not triggering
copyleft considerations.

See:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-117

I'm not aware of any license changes on the dictionaries themselves in
this time period, but maybe others know more.

Regards,

-Rob