Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erik <ur...@quest-it.com> on 2014/04/11 17:43:33 UTC

Solr dosn't load index at startup: out of memory

Hi,
my solr (v. 4.5) after moths of work suddenly stopped to index: it responded
at the query but didn't index anymore new data. Here the error message:
ERROR - 2014-04-11 15:52:30.317; org.apache.solr.common.SolrException;
java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an OutOfMemoryError; cannot
commit
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.prepareCommitInternal(IndexWriter.java:2788)

So, I restarted solr using more RAM (from 4GB until 8Gb) but now solr can't
load the cores. Here the error message:
ERROR - 2014-04-11 16:32:50.509; org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer; Unable
to create core: posts
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error Instantiating Update Handler,
solr.DirectUpdateHandler2 failed to instantiate
org.apache.solr.update.UpdateHandler
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Anyone can help me?

Re: Solr dosn't load index at startup: out of memory

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
My assumption is that you've been adding documents and just have
finally run out of space....

Is that true

Best,
Erick