Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2008/01/11 14:25:01 UTC

[RFO] Rename default publication to example publication or something else?

Hi Lenya devs,

IMO the description "default publication" isn't appropriate anymore,
because it's really just a demo of some of the modules with a particular
layout. In 1.2 it was different because we had no modules and a lot of
the functionality was located in the publication.

I could imagine that demo visitors would find it less misleading if it
was called "example publication". WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [RFO] Rename default publication to example publication or something else?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Bob Harner wrote:

>>I think that's a good idea
>>
>>+1
>>
>>Jürgen
>>

>+1

+1

>Maybe someday it would be nice to have more than one example
>publication, each demonstrating a different sort of site.

you  might remember we had this ;-) but the problem is the maintenance

Cheers

Michael

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [RFO] Rename default publication to example publication or something else?

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Another option would be that more users make their publications
> available as open source. AFAIK the UniCMS and Unipublic publications
> used to be very popular to get started with Lenya.

there's certainly no harm in that. the only problem i see is that people
tend to do inelegant, hackish things in real-life deployments that might
not be good examples and could become a legacy eventually...

in any case we should clean up the example publication (no more tables
etc. - or is that already done?), and expose more features.

would you guys be ok with a very rudimentary "basic" publication that
contains only the bare minimum of lenya features with only the fully
modularized, best-practice features (which currently excludes bxe and
kupu), and base the example publication on that (adding bxe/kupu hacks
locally)?

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.

Re: [RFO] Rename default publication to example publication or something else?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> IMO the description "default publication" isn't appropriate anymore,
> because it's really just a demo of some of the modules with a particular
> layout. In 1.2 it was different because we had no modules and a lot of
> the functionality was located in the publication.
>
> I could imagine that demo visitors would find it less misleading if it
> was called "example publication". WDYT?

+1

i've always felt that "default" was kinda wrong, because people should
generally not use it as a template imho, because it contains too many
assumptions. "example" sounds good.
privately, i'm using a stripped down "basic" publication which i use as
a template - i'm going to commit it to the sandbox after some polishing,
maybe others find it useful.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.