Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2015/06/18 17:42:57 UTC

Jenkins Mail Flooding

I come back to my favorite topic, Jenkins is flooding our mails and
archives. The ratio between jenkins mails and normal mails looks really
really bad.
As we're not capable of fixing the problems, what about sending these to
another mail list?

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 19.06.15 um 10:12 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
>> +1 for moving those notifications to a different list then, I'd prefer
>> an existing one if possible but no strong opinion.
>>
> What about sending this to the commit mailing list?

Sounds good to me, we have other ways to get commit stats so polluting
that list is not a problem IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Look at the archives of sling-dev, they look like we're having so much
> discussions here as the message count is pretty high....

Ah sorry I missed that those were on dev@sling due to my good filter ;-)

+1 for moving those notifications to a different list then, I'd prefer
an existing one if possible but no strong opinion.

>...Isn't the board tracking mail traffic by looking at the count?...

Not that I know, in general we're looking at more high-level things,
but I agree that it's good for mailing list stats to be realistic.

-Bertrand

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2015-06-19 at 10:19 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Stefan Seifert <
> sseifert@pro-vision.de> wrote:
> > ...my proposal some weeks ago was: there are only a few projects
> > where integrations
> > tests sporadically (but often) fail.
> > we should disable those test from the main jenkins build, e.g. by
> > defining separate profiles for them,
> > and enable them in a separate Jenkins build that does not spam the
> > main mailing list....
>
> That would work for me + create jira tickets to keep track of what's
> failing.

I have used the 'sling-IT' label for those tests to quickly get an
overview of what is failing at a certain point in time.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20sling
-IT%20AND%20resolution%20is%20empty

( 2 issues open right now but I am not sure how closely they reflect
the reality since I haven't tracked to failures lately )

Cheers,

Robert

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> wrote:
> ...my proposal some weeks ago was: there are only a few projects where integrations
> tests sporadically (but often) fail.
> we should disable those test from the main jenkins build, e.g. by defining separate profiles for them,
> and enable them in a separate Jenkins build that does not spam the main mailing list....

That would work for me + create jira tickets to keep track of what's failing.

> ...it would be sad to bypass the other 90% of good and always running tests...

+1

-Bertrand

RE: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.
>It seems everyone has given up, I'm seriously wondering what the point
>of having this really is?

my proposal some weeks ago was: there are only a few projects where integrations tests sporadically (but often) fail.
we should disable those test from the main jenkins build, e.g. by defining separate profiles for them, and enable them in a separate Jenkins build that does not spam the main mailing list.

so we still can get the huge coverage of 90% of unproblematic tests checked regularly and with high attention if the fail. from those tests in "quarantine" they can be evaluated further if some finds the time to make them stable. but in the last years this was rarely the case.

it would be sad to bypass the other 90% of good and always running tests.

stefan

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Am 19.06.15 um 10:03 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...the noise ratio is
>> very high and only a few seem to care...
>
> I have to admit that I have given up on the Jenkins emails, I look at
> https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Sling/ from time to time only.
>
>> As we're not capable of fixing the problems, what about sending these to
>> another mail list?
>
> You're basically suggesting /dev/null, right ? ;-)

No, absolutely not :) People interesting can still subscribe to that list.

> A filter on From:jenkins@builds.apache.org works fine for me, why do
> you think a separate list is better?

If everyone is filtering it out, why having it at all? :)

Look at the archives of sling-dev, they look like we're having so much
discussions here as the message count is pretty high. What is left if
you remove the jenkins mails from this? Isn't the board tracking mail

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I'm all for fixing this, and I trust you that you can fix your stuff.
But to be honest, we're saying this now since a very long time (let's
try to get it green) - but simply put we failed. And the noise ratio is

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com>.

Re: Jenkins Mail Flooding

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I've changed the mail address to our commit list instead of the dev list.

Please note that no job is green atm, so whoever wants to do something
about it, feel free!

Thanks
Carsten