Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephen Liu <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/12/25 16:11:13 UTC

[users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Hi all,

I have following problem:

Host       Ubuntu 14.04 desktop
VMs       Ubuntu 14.04 desktop/server edition
VirtualBox

I have several web-servers running on VMs, each with its own domain/subdomain and internal IP address.  But I have only one Fixed IP/External IP.

All VMs are Apache server running WordPress.  I can create many internal IPs on router.
Please advise how can I make all web-servers be browsed on Internet
Thanks in advance.
Regardssatimis

Re: [users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Posted by Marat Khalili <mk...@rqc.ru>.
Looks ok at first glance.

--

With Best Regards
Marat Khalili

Re: [users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Posted by Marat Khalili <mk...@rqc.ru>.

Re: [users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Posted by Marat Khalili <mk...@rqc.ru>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 15:11:13 +0000 (UTC)
Stephen Liu <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have following problem:
>
> Host       Ubuntu 14.04 desktop
> VMs       Ubuntu 14.04 desktop/server edition
> VirtualBox
>
> I have several web-servers running on VMs, each with its own
> domain/subdomain and internal IP address.  But I have only one Fixed
> IP/External IP.
>
> All VMs are Apache server running WordPress.  I can create many
> internal IPs on router. Please advise how can I make all web-servers
> be browsed on Internet Thanks in advance.

This may be an issue for your networking config.
That is to say, check what networking options your
OS and VM environment provide.

If you can't find a native solution, you could run
an apache instance on your external IP, with a
VirtualHost proxying to each of the VMs.

Of course, if you could dispense with the VMs and
substitute plain old VirtualHosts, that's a far more
efficient solution.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Posted by Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz <lu...@gmail.com>.
This is a squid task.

Posted by Kurtis Rader <kr...@skepticism.us>.
On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Stephen Liu <sa...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> > your question is overly broad for this mailing list.
> > It is very unlikely someone is going to take the (unpaid)
> > time to evaluate your specific situation and propose a solution.
> This is ONLY a test NOT for commercial application.

Whether or not you're doing this in the hope of commercial profit is
irrelevant. You are still asking an overly broad question. Most people
reading this mailing list will be happy to help you with questions specific
to the Apache HTTPD software. We're not willing to provide consulting for
free.

> > Then you need another system that handles all traffic
> > to/from your single fixed/static IP address on which
> > you can run a "reverse proxy" and forwards traffic to
> > the appropriate VMs on your VirtualBox host.
> Several years ago I did following test;
> One Fixed/Static IP serving multiple mail servers running on VMs.  Each
> mail server has its own domain.  I ran Perdition on a VM.  It worked
> seamlessly.  Emails were delivered to respective servers.  I have posted my
> solution on several forums before.
>
> I doubt whether Perdition can help me out on my current test ?

What is the relevance of the Perdition mail proxy to your current problem?
It seems to me to that you don't understand the difference between the SMTP
and HTTPD protocols. Which is why you should hire someone who has expertise
in these matters.

--
Kurtis Rader

[users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Posted by Stephen Liu <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Kurtis,
Thanks for your advice.

    Kurtis Rader <kr...@skepticism.us> 於 2015年12月28日 (週一) 10:58 AM 寫道﹕

 On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Stephen Liu <sa...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> You need to set up one webserver on the fixed IP as a proxy
If I understand it correctly.  Run a webserver on a VM with the Fixed/Static IP forwarded to it on the router and set up it as Proxy?
That is what I'm most interested rather than installing Apache on the host and run it as Proxy.

Stephen, your question is overly broad for this mailing list. It is very unlikely someone is going to take the (unpaid) time to evaluate your specific situation and propose a solution. This is really something you should be paying a consultant to help you find a satisfactory solution. Having said that you should be looking to employ a "reverse proxy" of some sort. That could be an Apache httpd instance dedicated to doing nothing more than responding to requests on your fixed/static IP by looking at the "Host" header and forwarding the request to the appropriate web server running in one of your virtual machines and passing the response back to the requestor. There are also software and hardware solutions optimized for this task such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(software).
I expect keeping the Host clean for running VirtualBox ONLY.

Then you need another system that handles all traffic to/from your single fixed/static IP address on which you can run a "reverse proxy" and forwards traffic to the appropriate VMs on your VirtualBox host.
--
Kurtis RaderCaretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank

Re: [users@httpd] 回覆︰ [users@httpd] How to solve ONE fixed IP serving multiple web-servers running on VMs

Posted by Kurtis Rader <kr...@skepticism.us>.

Posted by Stephen Liu <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi James,