Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Nitan Kainth <ni...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/21 17:01:49 UTC

Upgrade sstables vs major compaction

Hi,

we upgraded binaries from 3.0 to 4.0.
we run major compaction periodically for some valid reasons.

Now, we are considering running major compaction instead of
upgradesstables. Repair is disabled, cluster have normal reads/writes (few
hundered/second).

Plan is to run major compaction to clear tombstones and reduce data volume.
Once major compaction is done, we will run upgradesstable for any leftover
sstables if any.

Can you please advise major compaction could cause issues instead of
upgradesstables? Or any other feedback in this action plan?

Re: Upgrade sstables vs major compaction

Posted by Nitan Kainth <ni...@gmail.com>.
Not sure where the binaries were obtained from. I am helping a friend who
is not part of this DL.

based on understanding, i proposed above mentioned plan wanted to hear
others' opinions.

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.