Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2018/02/23 17:52:49 UTC

Is Gump still useful for you?

Hi all

when writing Gump's quarterly report for the Apache board we usually
include the phrase "Gump seems to remain useful for the projects using
it". Back in September 2017 Gump builds stopped for several weeks and
nobody seems to have noticed or at least complained about it. So maybe
this isn't really true anymore?

Currently the projects that have nags enabled in Gump are

* Batik
* XMLGraphics Commons
* Santuario
* Tomcat

in addition to a few projects where I receive the nags myself.

Are you even aware Gump is there and do you still consider it to provide
value to your project? This is not any request for you to get involved
but really a curious question.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Is Gump still useful for you?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-02-24, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 23/02/18 17:52, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Are you even aware Gump is there and do you still consider it to provide
>> value to your project? This is not any request for you to get involved
>> but really a curious question.

> Personal view, not speaking for the project.

> Yes and yes.

Thanks Mark. Tomcat is the one project where I was sure you knew Gump
was still there.

> Another area that is particularly useful is the tests against the latest
> OpenSSL build. Gump enables is to spot within 24 hours when OpenSSL has
> added a new cipher, removed an old cipher, etc so we can update our
> integration.

Great, this is a really good example of where Gump is able to do more
than traditional CI systems.

Many thanks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/02/18 17:52, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi all
>
> when writing Gump's quarterly report for the Apache board we usually
> include the phrase "Gump seems to remain useful for the projects using
> it". Back in September 2017 Gump builds stopped for several weeks and
> nobody seems to have noticed or at least complained about it. So maybe
> this isn't really true anymore?
>
> Currently the projects that have nags enabled in Gump are
>
> * Batik
> * XMLGraphics Commons
> * Santuario
> * Tomcat
>
> in addition to a few projects where I receive the nags myself.
>
> Are you even aware Gump is there and do you still consider it to provide
> value to your project? This is not any request for you to get involved
> but really a curious question.

Personal view, not speaking for the project.

Yes and yes.

I know we didn't notice it when Gump stopped but I thought we'd just had
a good run of not breaking it. We do get useful reports from Gump. It
has identified, and continues to identify, areas where we need to make
the tests more robust. (Generally Gump finds errors in tests more often
than it finds errors in code but those are still useful.)

Another area that is particularly useful is the tests against the latest
OpenSSL build. Gump enables is to spot within 24 hours when OpenSSL has
added a new cipher, removed an old cipher, etc so we can update our
integration.

HTH,

Mark

Re: Is Gump still useful for you?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Thanks Chris

On 2018-02-26, Chris wrote:

> XML Graphics migrated to Jenkins a couple of years ago. We no longer use
> Gump.

Actually you do :-)

http://vmgump-vm3.apache.org/xmlgraphics-commons/xmlgraphics-commons/index.html

So I take this as two "no"s to the

>> Are you even aware Gump is there and do you still consider it to provide
>> value to your project?

question.

Shall I remove the descriptor or at least remove the email notifications
you'd receive on failed builds or do you want me to leave things as tey
are?

Does this apply to Batik as well as Commons?

Posted by Chris <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Stephen,

XML Graphics migrated to Jenkins a couple of years ago. We no longer use
Gump.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-02-26, Gav wrote:

> Hi Guys,

> Yes Forrest is still interested - I will take a look over the next few
> days to re-familiarize our setup.

Great.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Guys,

Yes Forrest is still interested - I will take a look over the next few
days to re-familiarize our setup.

Thanks!

Gav...

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.