Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luca Cicale <in...@alsoftware.it> on 2008/08/12 23:32:52 UTC

Re: [programmazione] Re: Tomcat failover

Answering your question:
assuming you have a apache web server proxing the first tomcat with mod_jk
(so mod_jk help),
you shuold have a thread in your second tomcat which interrogate a servlet
in the first tomcat and if the answer fails this thread should reconfigure
the worker (the mod_jk) so that apache web server redirect the requests to
the second tomcat.
Honestly it doesn't seems to me to be a solid solution (what about the
second tomcat crashes too? what about the sessions in the first tomcat?).
A better solution could be clustering:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

Also give a try to terracotta to keep save your sessions.
In this case you could also have a typical load balanced cluster with net
balancer.
Regards
Luca Cicale