Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stephan Hermann <sh...@sourcecode.de> on 2003/07/31 15:30:40 UTC

failure during string recode ;)

Hi,

me again ;)

ok, the problem is not solved.

For your sleepless nights, here are the informations:

	Source Tree Size: >=1 GB
	Source Contents: textual and binary data (also binary data over 10MB and
more)

	The error occurs by following repository access methods:

		file:///
		WebDAV
		SVN protocol

	Where and when:

		This error occurs at different file locations at different times

	Tests to reproduce this error:

		4 different intel machines with diff. hardware
		changed berkeley db from 4.1.25 to 4.0.14 etc. same error
		used alwas the latest svn repos source
		Apache 2 version upgrade from 2.0.45 to 2.0.47

	How can you reproduce this error:

		Easy, I'm allowed to give you ssh access to a public server with the latest
subversion toolbox installed.
		If you have the time, the fun, proud to be the bugfix-superman in my dreams
;)
		please feel free to contact me,

		via email:
			sh at sourcecode dot de
			stephan dot hermann at lycos-europe dot com

		via jabber:
			sh at sourcecode dot de

		via icq:

			UIN: 15141448

		via phone:

			(will tell you if you email me)

	Well, I will give u the error message that will appear :

	subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:292: (apr_err=22)
	svn: Invalid argument
	svn: error during import of
`testrepos/content/mediaways/webguides/entertainment/filmreporter/trailer'
	subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c:173: (apr_err=22)
	svn: failure during string recoding
	subversion/clients/cmdline/util.c:364: (apr_err=22)
	svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
subversion/clients/cmdline/util.c:364: (apr_err=22)
	svn:    'svn-commit.14.tmp'

everything else, what I didn't mention here (just because I'm not allowed to
;)) we can discuss later.

Please please please, this bug is really serious for us. When this application
is running, I'm able to spread some good PR for the subversion project, at
least I will try to get some "spare money" for your project.

At least, the disclaimer, that I'm not writing/talking/making a deal ;)) on
behalf of my company, is normal.

I'm writing this as a private person and I'm not talking for my company.

thx in adavnce,

Stephan

Re: failure during string recode ;)

Posted by Stephan Hermann <sh...@sourcecode.de>.
hi,

On Friday 01 August 2003 13:39, Philip Martin wrote:
> > well, but it can't be, that this filename is different from another.
>
> Feel free to debug it yourself
>
> $ gdb svn
> (gdb) b main
> (gdb) r import path URL
> Breakpoint 1, main
> (gdb) b utf.c:173
> (gdb) c
> Breakpoint 2, convert_to_stringbuf
> (gdb) p src_data
> (gdb) bt

i got it, you were right, with the special chars.
I have POSIX as locale setting, and some of the filenames are with iso-8859-15
charset.
but now i'm running really into a problem.
I have several trees, which were managed by some people from diff. countries.
I checked now the trees, and they're using also sometimes their special chars
of their native language :(

well, is there a workaround to do those converting actions without using the
system locale setting ?

I can't set all the time a different locale on this machine, just because in
the future those people will have to access the repository online via webdav.

so, there have to be another solution.

regarsd,

\sh

Re: failure during string recode ;)

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

--
Philip Martin

Re: failure during string recode ;)

Posted by Stephan Hermann <sh...@sourcecode.de>.
Hi,

On Thursday 31 July 2003 22:27, Philip Martin wrote:
> Stephan Hermann <sh...@sourcecode.de> writes:
> > 	subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:292: (apr_err=22)
> > 	svn: Invalid argument
> > 	svn: error during import of
> > `testrepos/content/mediaways/webguides/entertainment/filmreporter/trailer
> >' subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c:173: (apr_err=22)
> > 	svn: failure during string recoding
> > 	subversion/clients/cmdline/util.c:364: (apr_err=22)
> > 	svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> > subversion/clients/cmdline/util.c:364: (apr_err=22)
> > 	svn:    'svn-commit.14.tmp'
>
> This is most likely to be caused by a file or directory in the
> directory
>
> testrepos/content/mediaways/webguides/entertainment/filmreporter/trailer
>
> that has a name that contains characters that cannot be converted from
> your current locale into UTF-8.
>
> Yes, it's a crap error message :-(

well, but it can't be, that this filename is different from another.
This error occurs at different locations, and no, i didn't remove the files
where this error occured in the past.
btw, the filenames are all us-ascii based, the current locale on each system i
tried is C, no de, no ru etc :)

And, this error occured in the interval of 300 to 350MB.

regards,

\sh

Re: failure during string recode ;)

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.