Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Rivoir <rh...@psu.edu> on 2006/02/04 19:33:00 UTC

Missing startup/shutdown scripts in latest 5.1.15 Windows install

I just installed Tomcat 5.5 on WinXP with the windows installer.  The
setup docs indicate that it gets installed as a service, but also
suggests there should be scripts (I assume .bat files) created in the
bin directory for starting, stopping and configuring tomcat.  But my
install
directory contains nothing but .exe and .jar files.  Are the scripts no
longer provided or what?  Should I just be using the .exe file to start
it interactively?  How can I cleanly stop it interactively? Also, where are
the command line switches documented?

Thanks.

Re: Missing startup/shutdown scripts in latest 5.1.15 Windows install

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@verizon.net>.
Robert Rivoir wrote:

> I just installed Tomcat 5.5 on WinXP with the windows installer.  The
> setup docs indicate that it gets installed as a service, but also
> suggests there should be scripts (I assume .bat files) created in the
> bin directory for starting, stopping and configuring tomcat.  But my
> install
> directory contains nothing but .exe and .jar files.

That's strange.  But for development purposes (as opposed to production
use), I would forget about the windows installer and just install the TC
.zip binary version into a new directory instead, and create desktop
shortcuts to the bin/startup.bat and bin/shutdown.bat.  You will not
have a Windows service for TC as a result, but I think you will find
shortcuts to the batch files more convenient than shutting down TC via
MS Control Panel/Services anyway.

Glen

RE: Missing startup/shutdown scripts in latest 5.1.15 Windows install

Posted by David Thielen <da...@windward.net>.
Download the zip file and all of the bat files are in it. No idea why they
are missing from the windows install.

Thanks - dave

David Thielen
www.windwardreports.com