Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/28 08:34:25 UTC

Concerns about the Camel / CXF documentation

Christian,

I have a few concerns about your write up on using Camel as a JMS
alternative with CXF[1]:

1.)  I don't understand why you are duplicating your blog entry on a CXF
confluence page.  Can't you just keep your blog entry up-to-date with your
link to it from our articles[2] page (and perhaps a few sentences on our JMS
page linking to it, for those who miss the articles page)?  Your article
looks nicer on your blog anyway than it does with Confluence formatting.

2.)  The quality of the writing on the Confluence page is not very clean--it
hasn't been spell-checked, capitalization is frequently off ("apache camel"
instead of "Apache Camel"), detracting from the CXF documentation as a
whole, and the tone reads too informally.  Also, you have too many
references to specific developers and regular usage of the first-person
"I"--it is written like a blog entry instead of actual system documentation.
We really don't have time to be cleaning this documentation up, you need to
proofread more carefully.

I write blog entries and link them to the articles page, and I also update
the CXF system documentation (sometimes linking to a blog entry, either mine
or others).  But the writing styles are different, and the types of things
you include are different.  In particular, you are tying your Confluence
article too much to yourself, but Confluence pages are for any team member
to edit, and are normally written without reference to any particular
author.

3.)  The tone of the documentation would appear to make it a better
candidate on the Camel site rather than the CXF one, for two reasons.  (And
I'm sure James Strachan would be happy to give you a place to write
articles.)  For one thing, the criticisms of the CXF product, as in your
entry paragraphs, is unnatural within CXF documentation.

Quote:  "Configuring JMS in Apache CXF is possible but not really easy or
nice. This article shows how to use Apache Camel to provide a better JMS
Transport for CXF...JMS configuration in Apache CXF is possible but the
configuration is not very flexible and quite error prone. In CXF you have to
configure a JMSConduit or a JMSDestination for each webservice. The
connection between Conduit and the Service proxy is the endpoint name which
looks like "{http://service.test\}HelloWorldPort.jms-conduit". As this name
is never explicitly configured elsewhere it is quite probable that you
misspell the name. If this happens then the JMS Transport just does not
work. There is no good error reporting to show you what you did wrong."

Pointing out the minuses of a software product, such as CXF, is perfectly
acceptable, but not on the CXF's product's page itself--this should with the
Camel project, where you are explaining an alternative.  That's where you
establish the contrast, the criticisms that you're finding with CXF.  While
you can still link to alternative and better solutions from the CXF site
(and even say they're better), the self-criticism part directly within the
system documentation seems strange.

For example, if I want to suggest where Maven is better than Apache Ant for
building software, those technical articles (and legitimate criticisms) go
on the Maven website ("Apache Ant is good for many things, but falls short
in these project-building aspects...), not on the Ant website.  It is
unusual to ask team members to maintain documentation criticizing their
project.

For the second reason, Camel embeds CXF--not vice-versa; for that reason,
perhaps placement on the Camel site would appear more appropriate, with just
links from CXF.

Regards,
Glen

[1] http://tinyurl.com/57ol4h
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Resources+and+Articles

Re: Concerns about the Camel / CXF documentation

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
We could do some improvement on the CXF JMS transport base on camel-jms
codes.

I also saw some requirement about using spring JMS template to implement
the CXF JMS transport API.

Willem

Posted by Bharath Ganesh <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eoghan Glynn <eo...@iona.com>.

Benson Margulies wrote:
> [...]
>>> unusual to ask team members to maintain documentation criticizing their
>>> project.  For the second reason, Camel embeds CXF--not vice-versa; for
>>> that reason,
>>> perhaps placement on the Camel site would appear more appropriate, with
>>> just
>>> links from CXF.
>>>

>> I understand. So moving the article to Camel is a good idea. Is it ok to
>> link to the Camel article from the Wiki though?
>>
>> Btw. What do you think about improving the JMS config for CXF? Would you
>> think the style from Camel I showed is good? I really like
>> the idea to choose the JMS connection in the address rather than in a
>> separate conduit definition. I also think it´s great to use Spring
>> internally to
>> make use of their transaction management. The last thing I liked is
>> refrencing the ConnectionFactory as a bean.

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: Concerns about the Camel / CXF documentation

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 28 August 2008 8:26:58 am Benson Margulies wrote:
> My question is dumber. If Camel, a part of Apache, is a superior
> comestible for this purpose, should we consider decommissioning or
> deprecating the existing CXF JMS in favor of just using it?

No, I definitely wouldn't go that route.    We definitely should get our JMS
transport fixed up a bit to be more usable.

There are two areas that really need addressing:

1) The Spring integration to use the standard spring JMS configuration
constructs

2) SOAP over JMS spec
http://www.w3.org/Submission/SOAPJMS/

That's the slightly trickier one as it would require the URL to be a "jms:"
url and not a "camel:" url.  It's also going to require a bit more
interaction with the rest of CXF to make sure all the JMS headers are set
right, etc....

Because of (2), it's definitely something we would want to be shipping with
CXF.   I really would prefer not using the Camel one as that introduces a
bunch of dependencies as well as causes a circular dependency between
projects, which always sucks.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Concerns about the Camel / CXF documentation

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Benson Margulies schrieb:
> My question is dumber. If Camel, a part of Apache, is a superior
> comestible for this purpose, should we consider decommissioning or
> deprecating the existing CXF JMS in favor of just using it?
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Christian Schneider
> <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:

I think it would be bad idea to simply use Camel as is as a JMS
transport replacement for CXF in the long run. Camel and CXF have
different object models for example for Messages and Exchanges.
So when a CXF Exchange crosses the border to Camel it has to be
converted. Additionally you get a lot more dependencies when you add
Camel to your stack.

So for me there are two different possibilities to improve CXF JMS.

The first is to rewrite the JMS code for CXF. The camel JMS
implementation can be a good starting point for this but it would mean a
separate code base from Camel.

The other possibility is to base Camel and CXF perhaps even also
Servicemix on a common kernel of Objects like Message and Exchange. Then
there could also be a common codebase for Transports that can then be
used for all these projects. Perhaps Servicemix kernel could be this
common base but I do not know enough about it to be sure.

What way is the better depends on two things the goals of the projects
and how well the teams can depend on each other. If the goals are quite
common and the teams work well together then the second way is the
better else it is better to keep the codebases separate. But that´s only
my two cents ;-)

Best regards

Christian

Re: Concerns about the Camel / CXF documentation

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.